Year Ten- Annie

People from the Capitol are swarming my house today. Effie says it's part of some anniversary. I don't know why I feel such tension among Katniss, Peeta, Enobaria, Beetee, or Johanna. We're together for a good reason, aren't we? I'm busy looking at the miniature film studio that's being set up in my living room. Cameras face my couch at various angles. I guess I'm a bit famous. Sawyer has gone for a walk with Rowan and baby Mags.

A man with bright yellow hair is speaking to Katniss, and he glances my way briefly. I feel like I know this man. Where have I seen him before?

I get close enough to hear: "...Good old Caesar will take care of everything. Don't you worry!"

Caesar? That name...

I'm looking into the face of Caesar Flickerman.  Last time I saw him, we stood right in this same room. Talking about District Four's star-crossed lovers. Finnick and me.

Wait. How did Finnick die again? I can't remember. It must've been a freak accident. How did we even meet? And how did I meet these friends of mine, who come from all over the country? I know it was something major...

This is so frustrating.

Katniss jumps a little when she sees me. "Annie! Hey. Do you remember C-"

"Caesar Flickerman," I reply, shaking his hand. "Yeah, I know you. You were all over the Capitol news back in the day. Didn't you retire?"

"Why, yes, but we're filming a special, and they asked for me by name. Wonderful to see you again, Mrs. Lawrence!"

So he knows my married name, yet I don't know my connection to him. I can't help glancing at each of my friends in confusion.

"You still haven't explained what's going on."

Nobody looks at me.

Peeta is the one who meets my eyes, takes a deep breath, and speaks. "Annie, there's a giant hole in your memories. Awful memories that you're better off forgetting. But I want you to get them back-"

"Peeta," Katniss whispers.

"No, Katniss. I can't keep this up anymore, and we never should've done it. Annie shouldn't lose such a big part of herself."

"Let me be the judge here," I say. "What am I missing?"

"Just listen to Caesar."

Before I ask more questions, the cameras begin to roll, zeroing in on Caesar. "Good afternoon, Panem! Today, we remember The Hunger Games. The spectacle. The violence. How we cheered for our favorite tributes, mourned them when they died, and celebrated those who survived to the finish. Maybe you even sponsored one or two. Impossibly, ten years have passed since the infamous Third Quarter Quell. Ah, yes; the Games to end all Games. Our victors were thrust back into the spotlight as they battled to the death for a second time. It became the shortest Games in history, lasting only seventy-two hours. At exactly midnight, the Girl on Fire, Katniss Everdeen-Mellark, released a lethal arrow, and the jungle arena went down in flames. There would've been no survivors, if it weren't for a daring rescue. Out of seventy-five victors, sixty-nine are, sadly, no longer with us. But I am here with the remaining six! Ten years later, they are older, wiser, and they still make us proud. Let's see how they're doing, shall we?"

"The Hunger Games," I whisper.

Suddenly, everything floods back to me. I remember days of failed hunting and starvation, living out of a backpack. Warren's head rolling off his neck when our allies didn't want him anymore. The water rushing at me. My hands keeping District Six girl under while I struggled for breath. Mags, taking my place some years later; walking into a deadly mist as Finnick cried out her name. Nobody could pull me from my viewing chair that day.

"Oh my God," I say. "It was real. Warren!"

I can't bear watching my district partner die again. But I see it replay. Oh, he was too young. Just twelve years old. I start vomiting onto my beautiful floors, and salt water trickles down my cheeks. In a flash, I race to the bathroom, coiling around the toilet. When I'm done emptying today's breakfast, I wipe my face and put on a new shirt. Then I brush my teeth for good measure.

Johanna finds me.

"It was real," I repeat to her.

"Yes it was, Red. That's how we all know one another. We made up the dream to give you a touch of normal in your life. We didn't really think about how you'd react. If it helps, I didn't like hiding that from you, but I got outvoted. Finnick's probably rolling in his grave." She pats me on the back gently, which relieves some of the tension I feel.

"I'm glad you tried, Jo."

Back in the living room, Caesar and Beetee are talking about his latest projects. I don't speak until the interview has finished. By then, my anger is seething just beyond the surface, ready to burst. He's the eldest of us. He should've known better than to keep me in the dark.

"So," I begin, "all of you decided to fake a dream, knowing everything I'd been through, because somehow, you thought it would make things easier for me?"

"Like I said, I was against it!" Johanna protests.

The others aren't so defensive. In fact, Katniss looks very guilty.

"You were doing okay," she mutters. "Then you got pregnant again, and you started acting like The Hunger Games never happened. I thought it might be... a blessing in disguise.  Too much stress could've ended with a miscarriage."

"I carried Rowan to full term just fine, with all the memories intact," I argue.

"Don't you know how you were before?" Beetee asked.

"Always jumping at the slightest noise," Enobaria says. "Screaming at nothing."

I shake my head, sighing.  "Yeah, that was me. I'll admit, you meant well. But Finnick... Mags... They would be ashamed of you guys. They didn't sacrifice themselves because they felt like it. They fought because of the Games. Mags even died for me! Don't they deserve to be remembered? We can't repeat our past mistakes, no matter how terrible. Forgetting isn't an option."

"You've never wanted a reset button on life?" Peeta asks.

"I'd rather know everything than be coddled by my closest friends! You know what? I'm going to find Sawyer and the kids. Anywhere but here."

"Hold on," Caesar says, gesturing towards the chairs. "Would you mind talking with me first?"

He's got nerve, I'll give him that. Then again, he did nothing wrong. Maybe telling him what I've been doing the past ten years will cheer me up. Once the camera stops recording, I jump for the doors, anxious to see my family. Not these people who don't share a drop of my blood.

I guess we're still playing games after all.