Year Four || Basic Human Reaction

He didn't know what it was exactly that he expected when he boarded the Hogwarts Express and hoped he wouldn't bump into Hermione any time soon. Since that time at the World Cup he had wanted badly to see her again - but no thought of reconciliation or, Heaven forbid, apology came into his mind.

Yet at the same time he knew he couldn't go on being just as mean to her as he had always been. Something in him had either grown either broken - and he decided that the best way to stay out of trouble with her was to ignore her.

And so he did. For the first couple of weeks of school, even when they shared a classroom, he would sit sullenly next to one of his friends and pretend she wasn't even there. They had a strange new professor called Mad-Eye Moody - and during his very first lesson he had killed a spider right in front of Granger, and earlier on set that same spider to climb on Draco's face.

Draco had screamed like a girl. Once again, she had seen him humiliated. There was no way he would win her over, make her like him. He never asked himself what would happen if she actually grew to like him - because he knew that would never happen. He simply climbed on blindly, knowing there was no goal he could reach.

His hate for Mad-Eye had only augmented when the teacher (obviously) took a great liking to Harry and had even protected him during his fight with Malfoy. Draco had tried to hex Harry and instead got transformed into a ferret. Now his "friends" made fun of him by shouting "here comes Mad-Eye!" and making him jump ever single time.

To be quite honest, Draco had never been more miserable during his whole life. With Potter selected into the tournament, Granger spent all of her free time with him, coaching him about stress resistance and helping him with homework.

He thought nothing could make his life even worse - that is, until he found out Hermione had met someone new - and that it wasn't him.

The autumn grew even colder and he had to wrap himself in the green Slytherin scarf every day now. He was too lazy to wash it and they had been forbidden to use magic on their robes - for discipline. As Draco and Blaise walked along the edge of the great lake, practicing a spell one of their teachers had made them do, Draco suddenly lowered his wand and stopped.

He had always had excellent sight and hearing. Viktor Krum, the one he was rooting for at the tournament, had passed him by - and a group of girls followed him, sniggering, because Viktor was dressed way too lightly for the weather.

But it wasn't the group of girls that he was paying attention to. He walked in a straight line towards a figure standing at the edge of the lake with a big fur coat in her hands - his fur coat.

And the figure was Hermione.

Draco remembered perfectly the time Hermione had crushed on Professor Lockhart - he had despised her then but felt safe, for she was just a child and besides, he thought, these crushes come and go.

But Krum was much nearer her age and when he saw the way she had looked at him, his heart fell.

Shoving his wand into his pocket and not stopping even for a moment to think about whether it was that serious or if they were just friends, Draco stormed back to the castle, throwing an "I'm bloody freezing" to Blaise and hearing it get lost in the gust of cold wind that seemed to chill him to the bone.

Please VOTE and COMMENT if you liked this chapter :) I know it's shorter than most but don't worry, a new one is coming up tomorrow. Cheers <3