Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

"Sorry," the kid apologized, "that water bottle was for the guy--you know, the rock looking dude--behind you," she smiled and turned and kissed the girl next to him on the cheek.

"It's okay," I answered.

"I'm Wendy!" the girl piped up, teasing the boy and wiping the kiss off her cheek, "this is Gabe," she poked Gabe's shoulder.

"I'm Austin," a green haired guy--the one from Julia's orientation video--lifted his arm from around a girl's shoulder and put out his hand and shook mine. "This is Lila. But we call her Lil."

"Hi," Lil smiled warmly.

"I'm Carter," the guy who Julia was with in the video shook my hand, too.

"I'm Maddy," I introduced myself.

"What's your power, hot stuff?" Austin laughed and Lil hit his shoulder, laughing, too.

I realized I didn't know.

"Uhm...well...this bubble thing surrounded me, and no one could get in."

"So a forcefield?" Carter said, "cool. I haven't seen one of those before."

I smiled and opened my fruit snacks.

"Watch where you're going!" I turned around and a tall, earthy colored haired guy fell into my lap.

"Sorr--" the boy looked up and met my eyes. His were bright green. He stared into my eyes for a couple more seconds then jumped up and lifted his hands to the air, making clouds form above the large, rock looking guy--the one Gabe had mentioned earlier--and chunks of hail the size of golf balls rained down on him, along with some lightning.

The rock guy charged towards the guy that was making it hail, and I jumped up and ran in between them.

"Stop it!" I shouted and I thrust my hands out.

Forcefields blocked both of them and Julia and Austin dragged the rock guy away.

I put my hands down against my sides and went back to the table and sat down.

"Thanks, uh..."

I looked up to the weather guy standing next to my chair, "Maddy."

"Maddy," he repeated, "you kind of saved me back there. John over there gets mad pretty easily," he flipped his hair out of his eyes, "I'm Trey."

I shook his hand, my hand getting a little tingly.

He pulled his hand away and ruffled his hair, "so, uh, forcefields, huh?"

"Yeah. First time I did it intentionally, too," I half chucked, half winced.

"So you're a newbie? I'll show you around tonight...if you want."

I smiled, "sure! I'm pretty sure Julia wants to get rid of me anyway," I laughed, and he did, too.

"Cool. I'd be glad to take you off her hands. Meet here, then? Say...five?"

"Five," I agreed and Trey turned around and walked away.

I got up and dumped my tray, then headed back to my room.

I just hoped I'd remember.