Chapter Eight

Louis

-

I entertained the thought of getting ready for Niall's party for two hours before I realized I had no idea where he lived.

Gran turned in early. I think physical therapy today really wore her out. Getting her in from the hospital van took longer than usual and she was out before I could put a blanket on her. And there went my only chance of having a semi-fun night.

I took a shower and combed my hair just because. I pulled on one of my rattiest t-shirts. One I wouldn't even walk to the corner store in, and parked it on the couch.

I spent about an hour tuned to the channel that aired the Simpsons pretty much twenty-four-seven before I heard a knock at the door.

It was Harry. Of course. If Gran knew anyone who didn't mind stopping by at this hour, then I couldn't see her needing her grandson to fly all the way down from England to look after her.

Harry smiled when he saw me and I remembered again that I was secretly hoping he would show up some time tonight.

He had shorter hair now and it fit him really well. It looked more curly.

He was wearing a short-sleeved black button up with all these types of flowers printed on it. Short black boots instead of wellies. I looked down at the rag I once called a shirt.

"You look nice," he said to me.

"Lie to me again."

He blew out a laugh. "You ready?"

"For what?"

"Niall's party? Don't tell me you forgot."

"Just give me a second?"

"Feel free to take two."

I scribble a note down for Gran and slipped into her room to leave it on her night stand.

"Do you know if Niall has WiFi?" I asked Harry as I scanned the living room for my jacket.

"He does!"

Sweet, so Gran could get a hold of me if she needed to. It helped me feel a lot better about leaving her alone.

I found my jacket draped over a stool in the kitchen and followed Harry out the door.

-

I expected wall to wall bodies, bowls of pills, people trying to f.uck in the corners of the room - even though Niall and Harry didn't seem like the type. I saw nothing of the sort, but it didn't settle me at all. I was still freaked out about being at a party where I didn't know anyone.

It didn't help that Harry tried to leave my side just seconds after we stepped in. Well, he did leave me. I watched him walk up to Niall and they quickly started up an animated conversation. At least I was pretty sure it was Niall. The living room was dark and kind of blue, like someone threw a blanket over the only source of light.

I took another look around the room, squinting, and spotted the only thing I could trust that wouldn't leave me stranded tonight.

I wasn't much of a drinker. And by that I meant not a drinker of much else than beer.

I scored a can of Budweiser from the alcohol table and looked for a comfortable seat. I figured sitting alone looked less sad than standing alone.

I found a Bridgewater couch weirdly with only one person sitting on the end of it. I took seat on the opposite side.

Harry and Niall were still together, and still talking, but two other people had joined them.

I wondered what Niall meant to him. Meant to Harry. What anyone in this place meant to him. It wouldn't have surprised me if he were friends with all of them. I felt weird for staring, but there was something sort of compelling about him. Harry. I think it was how easy he made it look to just....talk to people. For him it seemed effortless.