seven

"Ned, I cannot talk right now

"Ned, I cannot talk right now." Peter sighed for the fifth time since Ned called trying to apologize.

"I know Peter, but please just — "

"Karen, hang up." Peter interrupted him for the second time that day. He shook his head as he heard the 'click' of Ned disconnecting.

"Locate Michelle." Peter spoke to Karen under his mask as he looked down at the lit up streets below him. He was sitting on some random rooftop for a while now, contemplating whether to do this or not.

He trusted Michelle, even if the feelings weren't mutual right now. She was way better at keeping secrets than him. Three people found out about this secret without Peter even meaning for it to happen. Even though Michelle was pretty pissed at him, he knew this would at least get him back on the team. He was hoping for something more than that though. Peter really just wanted to talk to Michelle, like he should have done the moment she confessed her feelings, instead of freaking and fainting like an idiot.

As Karen was preparing his layout of how to get to Michelle from where he was, he felt his body tingle. His eyes got wide and he shook his head fast. "Karen, we have to get out of here. I can't save the neighborhood tonight." Peter pleaded, standing up and getting ready to shoot his web to the next building in the opposite direction of a huge problem that was most likely arising.

"Are you sure, Peter?" Karen responded. He hated how convincing she could be. Slapping his hand over his forehead, he thought about it for a long minute. When he heard screams, he wasted no time shooting his web that way to swing down to the rescue. "What am I dealing with?" He huffed to Karen as his feet landed on the ground a block away from the accident.

"Two kids locked in a car that's crushed by a bus, dad is in the front, already deceased." Karen responded as Peter ran down the block faster than ever.

"Jesus, Karen! I can't do this." He shook his head more, but kept running towards it. "That's too much, let's call the cops." He stopped in front of the accident. There was a silver car flipped over on a patch of grass, and another, larger, black car with a huge dent in the front. A girl was standing in between the two cars, crying on the phone. Peter got closer, "Did you call the police, ma'am?" He questioned.

She nodded, shaking a bit. "I - I didn't see them, he was swerving though." She exclaimed. "The police are taking too long, they're stuck!" She pointed at the two boys in the back seat, one of them trying to break the glass. From what Peter could see, one was a toddler and the other looked a few years younger than Peter. His force wasn't big enough to break the glass.

There was smoke all around their car and Peter tried to not look in the front seat at the deceased dad. He knew he would throw up, or cry, because it hit too close to home. "How much time do I have, Karen?" He stepped closer to the flipped car, trying to comfort the two boys through the window with his presence.