Chapter 5

I leave my home the next morning before any of my family can say anything to me. I'm still reeling from last night and I'm too ashamed to meet their eyes.

When I walk into homeroom everyone goes quiet. I lower my head even more as I walk to my desk.

It's like this every year. Someone from school will see me out on Halloween and it'll be the talk of my class because why, for the love of god, would Anorexic Annie be out on Halloween.

I ignore everyone as best I can as I take a seat at my desk.

"Hey, Annie,"

That's not my name.

"Is it true you were out trick-or-treating last night?"

If it's not your name, then what is?

I look up at a guy I don't even know. His friends laugh at his audacity.

I don't know, but it's not that.

"Yeah, it's true."

"So, basically all the candy is down the drain now, right? Man, what a waste." There are some more snickers and my cheeks heat up in shame as I remember. I remember how my sister had given me some of her candy and I couldn't even eat it without giving into my demon.

My hand moves and I start tugging on my ear for a distraction.

"She was out with her little sister." My eyes dart to the blonde I'd seen last night. "Annie and Annie jr., I wonder if they purged together."

I grit my teeth.

That's not my name and it's not her's either!

"Annie?"

I bolt up, slamming my hands down on my desk. The room goes silent as all eyes land on me. The flames of embarrassment move to my cheeks and all the way down to my neck. I look towards my only escape in the classroom. The door. Only, it's blocked and by a person, I had not expected to see again except maybe in passing.

Michelangelo looks at me with wide eyes and an O shaped mouth, no doubt from surprise. My embarrassment just grows and I grab my bag before hurrying out of the classroom, mocking laughter from my classmates following me out.

I manage to get out of the school building before being stopped under the large tree that sits out front. His hand wraps around my wrist, stopping me as he says,

"Annie, wait-"

"That's not my name!" I screamed as I whirl around on him. "That's not my name, Michelangelo!" I cry, finally no longer able to hold it in. He just looks down at me and sighs.

"Firstly," Michelangelo starts as he wipes away my tears. "Just call me Mikey. Everyone else does and it's much less of a mouthful." He smiles down at me with the kindness I'd seen last night still there. "Secondly," He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "I know it's not your name. That's kind of the point of our game."

I sniffle and cross my arms over my chest.

"The game you lost."

Mikey chuckles at that and the hand he'd used to move my hair comes to rest on my cheek.

"Yeah, the game I lost but fully intent on finishing."

look up into his eyes and they crinkle at the sides as his smile widens.

"I've got something for you." He removes his hand from my cheek and reaches into his pocket only to produce a packet of skittles. I frown at the candy, the memory of last night turning over my stomach. "You can have it but only if you promise not to spit it back up."

I crinkle my nose at that and look away, ashamed.

"So, you do know." I spit out bitter and I catch Mikey nodding out of the corner of my eye. "You're disgusted, right? Completely and utterly disgusted like everyone else."

"Yeah, I am."

I bite down hard on the inside of my cheek, trying to stop the oncoming tears.

"I'm also disappointed and upset and angry and ready to bash in everyone's head who was laughing back in that classroom."

I whip my head up at that, meeting his eyes.

Who is Annie?

"I'm also fully intent on stopping it from ever happening again."

Who is Charlotte?

"That all starts with this." He holds the packet of skittles to me and my eyes travel back down to the candy. The candy I wasn't even able to stomach for my sister.

Who am I?

I look back up into his eyes and the corners of my mouth tip up with a smile as I take the candy.

Tell me, Mikey.

"Oh yeah, I've also figured out your name."

"Really?" I asked, eager to hear him speak it. I jump when his hand comes back to rest on my cheek, My eyes widen as his face draws nearer.

Tell me my name, Mikey.

His lips brush mine as he whispers,

"You've completely ensnared me in your web, Charlotte."

There you have it!!! The first short story in the collection from Day 1 of 18 Days is completed and edited through!!! I really hope you enjoyed The Spider & The Turtle and look forward to the next story in the collection. If you enjoyed, don't forget to hit that little star button and drop a comment on your favorite part! Until the next story, Bookoholic's!