Chapter Twenty-Two: Kotomi

Ichecked my watch as I waited outside the movie theater. Our plan was to meet at9:30 AM to see the movie's 10 AM showing, then have a slightly late lunch. Iwanted to be sure that I wasn't late, so I shot for 9:00 and succeeded, much to my annoyance.

Goudashowed up a few minutes after I did, at around 9:15. I waved when he saw me,but dropped my hand when I saw him keeping what appeared to be a safe distancefrom me. "Gouda, get over here," I said. "I don't bite."

Heheaded my way, and as he got closer I noticed that he was dressed muchbetter than I was; while I had on a white button-up shirt tucked into my pairof dark jeans, he was dressed in his school uniform, and it looked like it hadbeen ironed. "G-Good morning, Okazaki-senpai."

"Morning," I returned. "You okay?"

"I...I will be, senpai," he replied somewhat stiffly.

I grimaced. "You don't have to end everything you say to me with 'senpai' you know. You pissed me off when you were scaring Kotomi, but now that I understand better, you can relax. Just call me 'Okazaki."

"Thank you, sen-" he cut himself off to take several deep breaths. "I am very nervous."

"I can see that."

"I feel like I am not good enough for Ichinose-senpai, and yet..."

"Why'd you ask her out, then?"

His expression brightened. "She is very beautiful and very smart, and...I want to get to know her better."

"Why?"

He looked over at me with a puzzled look. "'Why' what?"

"Why do you want to get to know her better?"

"I...am not sure," he admitted. "There's something about her beyond her beauty and intelligence that...calls to me. I am sorry, but that's the best way I can explain it," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

I mulled over his words. "Okay, fair enough. It's an honest answer, at least."

"Thank you."

"Ah! Tomoya-kun, Gouda-kun!" We turned almost as one to see Kotomi approaching, Rie with her; I smiled as I saw that they were both carrying bags. "Good morning."

"'Morning, Kotomi-chan," I returned.

"G-Good morning, Ichinose-senpai!" Gouda greeted with a bow so deep it made my back hurt. "I hope you are well!"

"I-I am well, thank you," she replied.

"'Morning, beautiful," I greeted as Rie made her way to my side, taking my arm as I took the bag from her.

"Good morning, handsome," she replied with a slight redness to her cheeks.

Anything else we were going to say was interrupted by a strangled cry, and my gaze snapped to see Gouda, standing ramrod-straight, with Kotomi holding his arm. "Am I doing this incorrectly?" she asked withher usual wide-eyed innocence.

"I...don'tthink he was expecting that," Rie said carefully.

Kotomi looked down at her arms, still wrapped around one of his, before looking up to his sweating face. "Are you all right, Gouda-kun? Am I making you uncomfortable?"

All the poor kid could manage was a squeak; surprising, coming from a guy with as deep a voice as his.

"Yeah, I think you're making him uncomfortable," I said while trying to keep from laughing.

"Oh! I am sorry!" she cried, releasing his arm. He immediately made a noise that sounded like *WHOUF*, and I realized that he must have been holding his breath.