Chapter Sixteen: Nishina Rie

I doubled-checked the top button of my shirt as I turned the last corner to head to the entrance to the park. Something about Rie made me want to look my best for our first date; it was probably the fact that she was such a...a lady. Being with her caused me to have mixed feelings; one the one hand, I was really happy to be with someone as neat as her, but...on the other hand, it reminded me of how...inadequate...I was.

My mood brightened as I saw her standing next to the entrance, wearing a white dress with some kind of blue lining around it. In her hands was a large, brown bag. "Hey, Rie; sorry to keep you waiting."

A smile broke out on her face when she saw me, lifting my spirits even more. "Tomoya! No, I haven't been waiting at all!"

I felt a smirk form. "Come on, I know you've been waiting at least half a minute; that's how long it took me to get here after turning the corner back there," I said, pointing back the way I had come.

She ducked her head meekly. "I'm sorry for lying; I've actually been waiting for about half an hour."

My smirk faded, and I checked my watch. "I...I thought we were supposed to meet at one! Was it twelve-thirty?"

"No no," she said, shaking her head, making her beautiful curtain of blue sway. "It was one; I was just so excited that...I got here a little too early."

"That's a relief," I said with a matching sigh. "I'd feel really bad if I kept you waiting just because I messed up the time."

"Well, you're on time...in fact, a little early," she said with the brightest smile I'd ever seen. "And you look so handsome!"

"Th-Thanks," I said, tugging on my collar. "This is the nicest shirt I have, so I'm glad it's okay. You...You look...You're beautiful today, Rie. I mean, you look nice every day, but..." Why was I getting all tongue-tied? "That dress looks good on you."

"Thank you very much," she said shyly, then gestured to the park entrance. "Are you hungry?"

"Y-Yeah," I said, shaking my head to clear it as I followed her into the park. I figured that I was nervous because this would be our first time alone together. Even though we would be in a public park. "Pull yourself together, Okazaki..." I mumbled to myself.

We found a good spot to lay out the blanket, and it wasn't long before the lunch she had made was spread out on it. "I'm sorry if this isn't enough," she said. "I've never made lunch for a boy before."

"You haven't?"

She shook her head. "I've brought stuff to school to share with the girls, but I know that you have different needs than we do. More protein, for example..."

"Wow, you've really done your homework, haven't you?" I said, awed.

"N-Not r-really," she stammered, her words coming out quickly. "I j-just know that boys have more m-m-muscle than girls, and muscles need protein, and...sh-should we start eating?"

"You okay, Rie?" I asked. "You're looking a little red, there."

"I'm fine! Fine! I mean, Itadakimasu!" she exclaimed with a giggle, but it sounded a little...forced.

***

"So, how are things going with your parents?" I asked carefully. "I thought I saw you with them after you performance at the Festival."

She paused, and a thoughtful look crossed her face; it was very cute, and I had to resist the urge to kiss her. "Yeah, things are better. Mom and Dad were both impressed with my performance, and Dad really likes the doo-wop style."

"Do you know why he likes it? It seems kinda weird that someone would like a style from another country, and from so long ago."

"I don't know," she admitted with a shrug and a smile. "I've never thought to ask."