Untitled Part 14

"What the hell are you doing?" I protested indignantly. I thought I had probably just failed my algebra 2 final and there was no way I felt like putting up with her BS.

She threw a bag of lacrosse gear at me. "Put this in the trunk."

"But—"

"Don't test me, just do it."

"No. I'm tired of you and your acting so high and mighty. What makes you think you can just push me around like this anyways? I know you're pretty and you're good at lacrosse, but that doesn't mean—"

"This isn't about me." She hissed.

I stared at her, confused. "Then why are you in my car?"

"Just put my bag in the trunk."

I sighed, knowing that she wasn't going to budge. "Fine, but this better be good."

I put the bag away and got in. "So where are we going?"

"My house."

"So you mean you're just getting a ride home from me."

"If I needed a ride home I would have taken the bus."

"Whatever."

I put the car in reverse and started pulling out.

"So to start off, I just wanted to apologize for being a maniac. I don't want you to think I just go around cracking branches over people's heads. Or lacrosse sticks. And I was kidding about the girl I had a fight with in a game. She only got 2 stitches, and it was from when I hit her on accident with my lacrosse stick, which was why she fought me in the first place."

"Okay then. Do you have anything else to apologize for?"

"... aaaand I'm sorry for putting laxatives in your tea."

"Good, that's what I was most mad about."

"How bad was it."

"I don't want to talk about it. Let's just say my ass was more sore than my shoulder."

She burst out laughing at this, but then stopped when she realized I had a grim expression on my face.

"So next thing. Thank you for listening to me. And for believing me, or at least acting like you did."

"Ah, yeah. Sure."

"I haven't really told anyone else about it. Not even my parents. And I made a joke about it at a lacrosse party. That's why Eileen knew about it."

"But you're not worried about it, right?" I pointed out.

"Well... I didn't used to be. But ever since I saw something fly out the window, um... it's gotten a little more... violent."

The word sent shivers down my spine. There was a pause. "What do you mean by violent?"

She looked down, and with a tight lipped expression, she said. "The ghost has started hiding my underwear."

It was my turn to laugh now, except I was driving and I had to maintain my focus, so it was difficult.

"You just passed my street." She said, not amused.

"Damn it," I swore, turning into a cul-de-sac. "Is that all it's done?"

"Pretty much. Except I'm still really confused about the thing I saw. And I want to try to see it again, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough."

"So you're going to ask me to come to your house again in the middle of the night?"

"Glad you offered."

"I didn't."

"Well you're coming anyways. And I promise I won't try to kill you this time." She said it with a smile, but this one wasn't creepy.

I turned onto her street.

"Okay," I said. But only because I want to see if you've been telling the truth, I added in my head. I didn't dare say it out loud.

"By the way, it's supposed to storm again tonight," She said as I pulled into her driveway. "12:45, be here in the driveway. And if you drive, no headlights."