Chapter 10

Neither of us said anything. We sat motionless in the moonless night, in the incessant downpour of rain, and seemingly continuous growl of thunder while the ghost that lived in Caroline's basement played a slow, sad song on the piano.

It was the kind of moment that would be permanently ingrained in my memory. The feeling of my head and shoulder bruising over, my palms pressed into the watery ground, rain smacking against my whole body over and over. And most of all the sound of the piano. I wouldn't ever be able to forget the haunting sound of the piano.

This moment lasted for a little eternity, and throughout the little eternity, my mind was in a thoughtless trance.

At some point the music stopped, but we kept our silence until a particularly loud crack of thunder made me snap out of it.

"I believe you. That your house is haunted. I believed you before, but now I really believe you. And that really sucks. I'm sorry for you."

Her face was hidden in darkness and covered in mud, but somehow, I knew she was smiling. "Well thanks."

"And I still love thunderstorms."

"Me too."

Well looks like I found more than a tree tonight... I thought to myself.

"Do you want to come in?" Caroline asked me.

"Do I?"

"Nothing happens upstairs. We will just stay upstairs. We will be fine."

"Well then yes, I would really appreciate a break from the rain, as much as I love it. And something to get the taste of dirt out of my mouth would also be nice."

"I'm sorry about that..."

"No, I think you probably have good reasons for attacking me. Honestly. Like if I had a ghost living in my basement, I wouldn't have given me a chance to defend myself... But what did you mean when you said you thought I had been in your house?"

"I'll explain everything. Just follow me."