>4

The door slams shut behind you when you step foot in the mess hall. You can see the cadets silently looking at you from the corners of their eyes, but none dare to turn their heads and look. Your eyes glide over the room until they meet cold grey ones. Your 'dearest' captain is sitting at a table in the far corner, surrounded by what you assumed to be your fellow squad members.

  You make your way over to the table, feeling slightly satisfied by the tense silence that has dawned upon the hall since your arrival. You intimidated people quickly, you knew that. Especially when they are aware that you are, in fact, [Y/N] [L/N]. You had quite the reputation, it would seem.

  You pull out the chair at the head of the table and sit down. The table is dead silent, but these people did dare to look. However, the look in their eyes was apprehensive. You hold Levi's gaze while he slowly takes a sip from his tea. He puts his cup down and adresses the rest of the table: ''This is former squad leader [L/N], who will be joining our squad as a soldier.''

  The way he emphasized the word 'former' made you want to lunge at him. Instead, you bite your tongue and opt for a death glare instead.

  The girl sitting closest to you bravely offers you her hand, although you notice it is shaking slightly. ''My name's Petra Ral,'' she says, ''it's nice to meet you.''

  You're slightly taken aback by her boldness, since not many people have offered you their hand like that, but you shake it anyway. You give her a nod and return your gaze to the rest of the table.

  ''I'm Eld Gin,'' a guy with blond hair follows up. The guy sitting across from him introduces himself as Gunther Schultz, which left only the one sitting closest to Levi.

  He keeps his head high, yet refuses to speak. ''I do not see the necessity of introducing myself to this woman. You don't intimidate me, girl.'' His speaking style reminded you vaguely of Levi, though his was forced and unnatural.

  You could hear the breaths of multiple people being sucked in at his words, and a tense silence hung once again heavy in the room. You slowly sit up straigther and rest your elbows on the table. He keeps his eyes trained on yours, but when he notices even Levi is gazing at him questioningly, with one eyebrow raised, he backs down.

  ''Oluo Bozad'' he mutters.

You can't help but smirk a little as you lean back down in your chair.

"So," you begin, "this is the elite squad Erwin has told me about?" Your gaze softens a bit when you glance at each cadet, feeling their unease radiate from your spot at the head of the table.

Your hypothetical question remains unanswered as Levi speaks: ''We'll be residing in an old castle. It used to be part of the Survey Corps but hasn't been used for a while."

His instructions went on for a while, most of which you already knew. The mission would include Eren closing the gaping hole in Trost District, marking our first exceptional win against the titans. After Levi's finished, most of the squad exits the room, leaving you with Levi alone.

''I need to speak with you,'' Levi says, after a drawn out moment of awkward silence. He glances around the room, noticing the remaining cadets very obviously eavesdropping on your conversation. 

''Alone.''

The two of you leave the room and enter the adjoined hallway. Levi crosses his arms and leans on the wall. 

''Did Erwin tell you why you're in this squad?'' he asks.

''He did. Why?'' You return his cold demeanor. Even though the two of you we're roughly the same height, Levi always seemed to make you feel much smaller than you really was. 

His eyes never leave the wall in front of him. 

''Just because Erwin thought it would be a good idea to put you in my squad doesn't mean I feel the same,'' he says.

You stand up straighter. Levi really disliked you, yet you couldn't seem to figure out what you did wrong. You weren't about to let him talk down to you for the entirety of this mission and those to come, though.

''Good thing these decisions aren't yours to make, then.'' You reply.

The venom drips from his voice. ''I'll only say this once so you'd best remember it.''

He pushes himself of the wall and looks you in the eye. ''You are the most skilled member of this team, so I expect you to have my back. Other than that, I want nothing to do with you. Don't speak to me unless it's about the mission.''

You raise an eyebrow and force back a smile. A long pause lingers between the two of you before you reply. 

''Will that be all, captain?''

/

After your conversation with Levi you had gone straight to the barracks. The team would be leaving for the castle at dawn, Eren included. You were eager to meet the boy, you had been studying him ever since Erwin called you to his office. 

Once most of your belongings were packed and ready to go, you head out to the porch of the small building. 

It doesn't take long for someone to appear in the distance, most likely another squad leader heading to bed. 

''Well well, if it isn't [Y/N].'' A familiar voice calls out. Hanji hops up on the porch and sits down next to you. 

''Heard you got placed in your dearest Levi's squad,'' she laughs. 

You give her an exasperated look in return. ''Don't talk to me about it.''

Hanji lightly punches your shoulder. ''Don't worry about it, [Y/N]. I know he can be intolerable, but you two make a good team on the battlefield.''

''You're not the one who has to spend the coming weeks holed up in a castle with him.'' You reply. Hanji smirks at you.

''You're right, though,'' you continue, ''We're probably that poor boy's best chance.''

Hanji stands up and brushes some dust from her pants. ''You should get some rest. I doubt you'll be getting any in that castle until you've cleaned the entirety of it.''

You stand up as well and follow her inside. 

''Can't you take my place?!'' You try.

She laughs in return and shakes her head.