Part Three: Shadows of Truth

It was noon when Iris woke up, and we all decided to head towards the mountains. It hadn't just been me that felt the tug, they had too.

Hours later, the shadows came out of nowhere. Well, technically, they came out of the shadows from the shadow paths but, we were still caught by surprise.

This time though, there were only a few that came through the gate before it closed on it's own, and by only a few, I meant twenty or so.

We summoned our respective weapons and went to work. The shorter strands of my hair fell in front of my face now that I wasn't wearing my dragon mask, but since they didn't get in my eyes, they didn't bother me all that much as I hacked away.

My blade whistled as I swung, making it's own tune. The tune helped me focus, even as my muscles strained. It felt as though I'd fought on a battlefield more than just three times before.

The sharp, cold edge of my blade slid cleanly through each opponent as they came at me, hardly noticing the others in my party. I wasn't bothered, even as they all ganged up on me. I twirled, blade rushing through the air, and then the nearest to me were no more than mere wisps.

My breath came in calm huffs, for some reason I knew that my pupils looked like that of a dragons'. I could feel my blood rushing through my veins. A roar had escaped my mouth before I knew what was going on. Suddenly there were only a few shadow creatures left.

Iris summoned another group of light blades. She prepared to fire and I saw something that shocked me.

"Wait!" My body was already moving even as the word left my lips.

Then I was on top of one of the shadows, his golden eyes staring up at me in shock, a barrage of searing white blades flying over the top of us. I winced as one burnt my side.

"Why-"

"Because he has golden eyes!" I cut Iris off. "That means he's good!"

"Um, uh... I don't actually have a gender... but I think I might be female... if I had one..." The shadow whispered hesitantly.

"Oh... Well, they. They have golden eyes," I corrected.

"Guard... How do you know that?" Pan asked, still wary, just like the others. "And how do you know what the shadow was saying?"

"You didn't?" My eyebrows flew up in surprise.

"Only you can understand me. And I promise, I am a friend." The shadow seemed to try and make a friendly smile, but it was hardly visible.

"What did they just say?" Iris asked. "Wait, hold on. I might have a spell to help with this..." She began ruffling through her bag.

While we waited for Iris, I went and repeated what the shadow had just told me, and concluded that I was just as confused as they were on the whole subject.

"Aha!" Iris raised one of her many tomes in triumph, and we watched with curiosity as she flipped to a page near the back and began chanting.

Magic circle formed around each member of the party, excluding the shadow. I felt a tingling sensation as the wind picked up and Iris's chanting grew louder and louder.

Then with a whoosh, it all vanished, leaving Iris exhausted, again, on the ground and the rest of us just as confused as we where at the beginning.

"I, huff, just used a spell so you can understand what the shadow is saying as long a Guard does..." Iris closed her eyes and flopped onto her back, arms spread wide and chest heaving.

"So, how do we know if it works? Never mind. We try it." Nox turned their gaze to the shadow underneath me. "So... do you have an important message to deliver?"

The shadow nodded. "I do, sort of... I'm not certain if you'll believe me though."

"I was kinda just joking...Well, the spell worked anyways." Nox plopped down onto the ground, as if preparing for a monologue, Pan just leaned up against a nearby tree. "So whaddya got to tell us?"

"Well... I'm uncertain how to begin, but I suppose I'll start with the fact that I'm actually a part of Guard that got torn away by Mother. After that Guard got brainwashed like the rest of you and a few others did and tossed into another realm.

"Each of you had your own important role to play in this realm, and that is why you were called back here. But I'm afraid, to regain your true memories, you must travel to the largest relic of the old realm... and there, you may have to face Mother..."

"Um. What?" Nox voiced the thoughts of all of us in that moment. "We were originally from here, then brainwashed and tossed into another realm and now to get our memories back, we have to face 'Mother'. Okay... But, just who is this 'Mother'?"

"Mother is a being of darkness, only a few that have met her have escaped. She lives deep underneath the shadow pathways and creates her 'children' by sending out bits of her shadows to those who catch her fancy. Guard was one of them, I am the result of the narrow escape."

Iris huffed. "I suppose that explains the dreams..."

Well, it was nice to know that I wasn't the only one ready to jump on the idea. Though one small part of my mind wondered if we were all just going insane. I ignored it.

"Alright." I let the shadow get up, then finished what I was about to say. "So where is this relic?"

"To the east, where you've been headed. I'm sure you've all been feeling a tug towards there." It replied.

Everyone gave their own noise of affirmation.

"So what're we going to call you?" Nox asked, changing the subject. "If you're part of Guard.... Maybe we'll call you Dragon?"

"That's fine... But I think I prefer Scyrlin..."

"Dragon it is!"

My shadow huffed, but didn't press any farther. "I'll just tag along with you guys- don't worry, I'll just stay next to Guard."

I wasn't sure if that would make any difference, I think the problem would be Dragon being with us at all if there was one, but we all pushed ourselves to our feet with no complaints and continued onward.