Chapter 2: The Alpha Loves The First Day (Edited and Altered)

Почніть із самого початку

"Nope." I said, loudly popping the "p."

She narrowed her eyes and placed her well manicured hand on her hip.

"Declan Sommers. You know, the mayor's son?"

Wow. I had to admit that was a bit impressive on Cora's part. In the past, she's managed to nab star quarterbacks, valedictorians, even the principle's son at our last school. But never a politician's son. Not even close.

"Dang. That's pretty impressive, Cor." I said, plastering a somewhat fake smile on my face. I hoped that if I feigned enthusiasm, she would let it go sooner. "Is he coming over to dinner tonight?"

Her eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning.

"Not yet. He's taking us home today."

I just stared at her, eyebrow raised questioningly. Going home with a stranger? Not exactly on my top 10 list of things to never do. And when it came to stranger danger, Cora wasn't exactly the best person to say no to an attractive guy.

Besides, mom was all too keen on taking us home today. I bet if she found out that a stranger was taking us home, she'd be pissed off.

Cora must have seen right through the expression on my face, because she smiled even wider. I could tell she was dying to prove me wrong.

"I called mom to let her know that Declan was taking us home. She said it was OK."

My mouth almost dropped open in surprise. Never mind about being pissed off, it sounded like she just encouraged her own kids to ride in a car with a total stranger.

Thanks, Mom. I applaud your parenting skills. If I ask, it's an immediate no, along with a lecture on how its unsafe to go home with people you just met. But when your perfect, does-no wrong daughter asks, she practically jumps for joy.

"Of course she did." I replied bitterly as I pushed myself off of my locker and headed toward nowhere in particular. Desperate to be anywhere but here, I made sure to bite my tongue so I wouldn't say anything to stir up a fight." I'm late for lunch. I'll talk to you later, sis."

I heard Cora scoff to my retreating back.

"Just because mom trusts me more than you, doesn't mean to you get to bitch about it.Maybe if you actually did what mom wanted, she would actually trust you."

Ouch.

That was a pretty low blow, especially coming from my sister. She knew that straying from the path my mom wanted me to take had severely damaged the trust we had shared when I was younger. Lately, it seemed to be Cora's word against mine.

And mom would always believe her over me.

It was frustrating to say the least.

I only paused for a moment, before continuing on my way, ignoring her stinging jab. As I rounded the next corner, a flood of students suddenly crowded the hallway going the opposite way I was, trying to get to class.

Several students bumped into my shoulder and ran into me, almost making me drop my books.

Looking around, I had no idea where the heck I was going. Everything was chaotic and I was completely and utterly lost. It was then that I spotted a small alcove in the wall a few feet down from me near a water fountain.

In a desperate attempt to stop and breathe my own air for a moment, I slid against the wall, trying to avoid everyone until I reached it.

As I jumped in the open space, I breathed a sigh of relief. Never have I seen so many people in one tiny hallway before!