16 - Dinner Guest

Start from the beginning

Seth drove cautiously, actually slowing for turns and reaching an arm back to steady me every time I slid to one side. His military style jacket was unzipped, and flapped against my arm as we rode. It wasn't long until we arrived at his apartment complex and I pulled away from him, a little disappointed to lose his body heat. I never realized how close we'd grown in the last month.

I didn't want to think about the fact that once we figure everything out and this mystery is over, he might be gone, along with the others. Then I'll be stuck in Belmonte Central, living out my normal life again with Luke and my family.

But hopefully Dad will be back in the picture.

My life felt like pieces of shattered glass, with my broken family and damaged friendships. And although I want nothing more than for all the fractured pieces to be put back together, I knew it was never going to be exactly like it was before.

---

It was late afternoon by the time I awoke.

Bright sunlight filtered in through Seth's torn bedroom curtains, causing me to wince and turn away from the intensity. Seth's mattress was tougher than I was used to, and I was surprised I slept so soundly. There were two other people in the small room with me.

Seth was asleep, slumped on the ground with his back against the wall. At some point during the night, he had removed his jacket and draped it across his legs like a blanket. I had never seen him sleep before, and I was surprised to find how vulnerable he looked. The hardness of his face, which probably came with the burdens of leading a group of vigilante demon fighters, soften as he slept. He looked so peaceful.

And in the chair pulled up next to my bedside someone I didn't expect to see.

He was asleep too, with his arms folded over my bed and his head resting on top of the sheets. Unlike Seth, he didn't look as relaxed with his brows drawn together and his jaw was set tightly. It was hard to see that he was so angry and hurt, even in his sleep.

On the ground was Seth's medical box, with everything he needed to sew me back up.

It had hurt like hell when he pulled the needle through my skin. I had to bite down on one of my shirts from the duffle bag to keep from screaming myself hoarse. He had injected something to numb the pain, but it was still excruciatingly unbearable.

"I can imagine Mara's disappointment when she finds out she missed an opportunity to stab holes in you and not get in trouble for it," Seth had said, trying to distract me from the pain.

I ran my fingers along the thread, feeling the roughness of the stitches against my skin. These weren't even close to the first stitches I ever had; I suffered many falls growing up, but this was the first time I wanted to wear it proudly like a war wound instead of hiding it away.

A quiet noise across the room made me look up.

"How are you feeling?" Seth whispered, finally coming to. He stretched his arms above his head as he stood up. He came over and examined my arm for any signs of infection.

"I'm fine. When did Connor get here?" I said quietly, trying to stay as still as possible so I wouldn't wake him.

"He kept calling your phone this morning, demanding that I go pick him up if I wasn't going to school anyway. He told me he was going to ride his bike to every house until he found me if I didn't get him," he said. "I guess annoying stubbornness is a family trait for you Wades.'"

"It's not even a big deal. He should've just gone to school."

"He wanted to check up on you. I thought you'd be happy."