seventeen

note: thank you so much for the 1k reads 😭
also: in this chapter, james makes a mistake

When the probability of seeing the Marauders in detention was close to a hundred percent, especially since James and Milla decided to quit sleeping with each other, the head girl would proudly say that she'd do anything to behave

When the probability of seeing the Marauders in detention was close to a hundred percent, especially since James and Milla decided to quit sleeping with each other, the head girl would proudly say that she'd do anything to behave. But no amount of behaving she could have done would change the fact that Professor Mcgonagall asked her to supervise detention that evening.

She knew James probably wouldn't be present, anyway. He had been maturing ever since the start of the school year mostly due to his head position. Remus, she could believe he wouldn't be present all the time. The guy was too studious to waste an hour sitting at a classroom doing nothing. Peter, she guesses could also be MIA. The boy was probably eating away somewhere else. Sirius... well, Sirius definitely would be present.

Of all the guesses Milla made pertaining to the four lads, she was only correct about one.

Firstly, Remus actually was there right at the front row, doing homework (which she got right but he was still in detention). Peter was also present and eating beside the scarred boy. Sirius, of course, was there, snoring away.

The one that shocked her the most was the bespectacled boy sitting in Mcgonnagal's desk supervising the small group of troublemakers present.

what?

He looked bored, if anything else. His face was resting on one hand and his eyes, droopy. His glasses were crooked and were almost falling off his nose. Another hand was busy making tap noises on the table. If he weren't sitting in front of everyone, Milla would think he was just a regular student serving punishment, but the head boy badge that stood out proudly against his robes made her think otherwise.

He's heard her come in. The crappy door to the transfiguration classroom creaks at the smallest of actions and catches attention swiftly in the rather quiet room. Only James looked up at her, though. Others were too preoccupied.

Their eyes locked, and Milla had the feeling of dread and running away that she's recently been feeling a lot the past few days whenever she finds herself near his company. He looked shocked to see her, too. After all, given the efforts they both made just so they wouldn't bump into each other despite sleeping in the same dorm, seeing face to face in detention of all places was least expected.

He clears his throat and she gulps the lump in hers. "Rosamund," he starts, tone wary. "What are you doing here?"

"Professor Mcgonagall asked me to supervise," she answered curtly before taking slow, steady steps towards him.

He frowns for a second. "What? She asked me to do the same thing!"

"Oh," she nods before heading back towards the door. "I can leave, if that's what you're..."

She didn't finish her sentence and exits the classroom. Letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding in, she leaned against the wall directly next to the door outside and let herself count to ten to calm down.

Why was she so affected, anyways? It's not like she could smell him within the safe space she put between them. Sure, she can still recall the scent of his perfume and sweat most days but that's just because they've been close physically before. It's not like he was the first person she slept with. Why the bloody hell was she so affected?

The door beside her slammed open and out came the one person she dreaded most to see. "Milla," James breathed out, looking slightly surprised to see her still outside.

"What are you doing?" she straightened her back. "You're supposed to be looking after the students,"

"I think we need to talk,"

The last time Milla and James had a 'talk' was probably also the last time they had been in each other's company for more that five minutes alone. And let's not forget that that was also the time they decided to get out of the pleasure frenzy they both found themselves tangled in. So no, Milla wasn't really up for another 'talk'.

She only shook her head at him and tried to walk out, but he gripped her forearm before she could do anything of that sort and gave her a look. "We don't have to talk about anything that's not about being heads."

He lets go of her to raise his arms up in frustration. "That's exactly why we need to talk! This tension between us is getting fucking annoying and it needs to stop!" She just stared at him. "We need to stop being awkward around each other, Rosamund. It's affecting... well, everything. We're partners, we need to act like one."

She spoke before she could think about her words. "Just because we slept together doesn't mean we're friends, Potter," she spits out his name like venom, akin to the way she usually addresses Cormac; not friendly at all.

James looked angry for a fraction of a second before grabbing the back of her neck and pressing his lips harshly against hers.

It took her everything, everything, not to respond. The kiss was all too familiar; the same burning sensation, the same taste, the same shivers. But the truth slapped Milla right on the face just as hard.

This wasn't supposed to be happening.

James had Lily.

With the memory of the fiery-headed, polite girl, she pushed him away despite every muscle in her body protesting. Lily was far too kind to deserve this.

On instinct, her right arm raised and her palm met his cheek in a sharp slap. "Don't ever," she breathed out. "Do that again."

He looked bewildered and confused at his own actions, but Milla stood her ground and ran a hand through her hair. "You might want to rethink all this love you claim to feel for your girlfriend, Potter," she tried to sound nonchalant but the taste of him lingered in her mouth. "Love won't make you do things like that."

With one last look, she left him standing at the hallway like an idiot while she tried to calm her racing heart.

Forget about him, she tells herself. Please forget about him.

-

james, ur loyalty is shit. lol.