Chapter Two: Flickers - The Second Day

Start from the beginning

I let out a breath and lean on my knees, my black, straight hair draping over my shoulders. I can't go anywhere. Randy took our second car. Only the van sits untouched and ready to go in the garage. I don't want to risk the van, our only lifeline to get out of town when we have to, and yes, it's when, not if. I can feel the future rushing at me like a great, barreling beast ready to trample me down into the dust, demanding payment of blood and flesh. Morbid I know, but that's what awaits us now.

"If he doesn't come back by tomorrow, we should go find the cabin ourselves. There can't be that many up there, right? One of them is bound to be the one." My logical brain clicks into action, and I feel a sliver of hope. We could go there without Randy. It's better than nothing; better than staying here, in the deathtrap of a city.

Mom twists her hankie again before bringing her fingers to her lips where she's chewed one nail down to the nub. I frown at her nasty habit and am glad I never picked up on it. Unfortunately, Jeremy has, and he's drooling all over one of his thumbs while his teeth click on the ragged edge of his nail as he gnaws it off. I hope he hasn't gone feral.

No, we're safe. We have to be. Why haven't we turned yet? What makes us so different than those out there running amuck in the streets and screeching as they hunt for blood in the night? Maybe we won't change because we aren't out there mingling with the infected. I hope that was it. Still, the danger that any one of us could turn during the night scares the bejeezus out of me.

"I can't sit here and do nothing, Mom. Let me go after Randy. I can see if his car died or something on the way to his friends' house. Where do they live?"

Silence. That's all I get from my mother. She is disintegrating before my eyes. I can see it. It isn't reassuring at all. Only now do I see just how dependent she has been on Randy's strength. Would she crumble by herself? She never needed anyone before, even after my father's death. Even so, this isn't the kind of problem anyone would expect. No one could've predicted the mess we're in.

"You don't know where they live, do you?" My accusation comes out low and heavy with the sinking feeling I have growing within my stomach, filling each pressing question.

She shakes her head.

Dammit.

"Mom...." I groan and rub my face. "Where are we supposed to go, then?"

"We'll figure it out."

"What? No, you don't even know where to go now."

She slams her fist on the table. I didn't notice her getting to her feet to pace the dining room. The noise makes me jump, but I don't ask any more questions. I know the answers to them already.

"Fine." I stand up and head over to slump next to Jeremy. "But when the morning comes, things will be changing."

She says nothing, and I take that as the end of our conversation. It suits me fine as we watch more TV, occasionally having to turn it back on whenever the lights flicker.

***

Morning's here. Another restless night. I'm up before the others, unable to attempt any more sleeping. My mother still tosses and turns, constantly reaching next to her, subconsciously touching the empty mat where Randy should be. It makes my heart squeeze for a moment as I feel her longing, but it also ignites my determination to go find him and get more food and supplies.

I grab a duffle bag sitting near the front door. Lacing up my boots, I can feel my mom watching me, but I don't meet her eyes. The question is coming.

"Where are you going?

I pull out my shoulder holster for my 9mm and strap a sheath to my thigh for a machete, which had belonged to my father. I was okay with the machete, but I know how to use a gun thanks to him.

"Out."

"Where?"

I flick my eyes up to my mother and do my darnedest to not roll them.

My hand flicks out into the air. "Out there."

She says nothing but watches as I finish prepping. I'm turning to walk toward the garage when she grabs my arm, holding it with an iron grip.

"Don't look for Randy." She pauses, swallowing as her voice breaks. "Get as many supplies as you can. Food. Guns. Water."

I nod. Her face is stoic, but I see the tears fighting to slip from her eyes.

"Okay."

"I'll see you back here before sunset." With that, she lets go and turns away to go sit on the couch near a sleeping Jeremy. The silence lingers around us, but it says so much, it's overbearing. Something tells me things are never going to be the same after today. For her, for me, or for anyone else.