14

"The prettiest smile hides the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears. And the kindest hearts have felt the most pain."

It was just past midnight when Liz decided it was time for everyone to go to their rooms and rest well for the competition

It was just past midnight when Liz decided it was time for everyone to go to their rooms and rest well for the competition. Surprisingly, Ember actually had a good time with the team, it definitely cheered her up and took her mind off from her trusting issues.

"Thank you," Ember said to Michelle as the two walked to their room, tired and ready to collapse.  "for making me go, I had fun" she continued after Michelle gave her a questioning look, unsure of what the blonde was thanking her for.

"Any time E" Michelle nodded, smiling. It wasn't fun watching your best friend going through a hard time, but knowing she was able to help her get better was always great. Michelle and Ember had been there for each other for just three years and yet to them it seemed like it had been their whole lives, they just couldn't imagine a life where the two weren't best friends.

The two reached their room and began getting ready for bed. Ember was putting on her pijamas after taking a quick shower, Michelle was already in bed reading her book, waiting for her blonde friend to turn off the lights, when she remembered something. "By the way your phone was ringing while we were at the pool"

The short blonde walked out of the bathroom, a bit confused by what Michelle said " But I left my phone here" she said, completely certain that she left her phone charging before heading for the pool.

"Your other phone" the brunette answered, grabbing a small black phone from her backpack. Ember realized what she meant and she quickly approached her friend.

It was a phone Steve gave her for emergencies, so she could call him if she ever needed help. Of course the war hero was in hiding and had made no attempts in contacting the teenager, but he wasn't the only one with that number. Ember decided to use that phone to communicate with Spider-Man and if he called her then he could be in trouble.

She mentally cursed herself as she noticed she had three missed calls from the hero and a voice message. When he finally calls she doesn't pick up.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ember questioned frenetically clicking to hear the voice mail, praying nothing happened to her partner.

"Uh, hey Spider-Man here." Spider man's voice came from the phone, both girls shuffling closer to listen carefully to his message "I guess you're busy. Just wanted you to know I'm, uh, tracking some of the bad guys, don't worry I have it covered and I' ll call again if anything happens, and, uh, yeah that's it. So, uh, Spider-Man out, I guess. Suit lady end call, please?"

"Suit lady?" Michelle asked, confused by the voicemail they just heard. "He's a dork, isn't he?"

Ember just shrugged her shoulders, worried about the boy going after the bad guys by himself. What if something happened? She couldn't let him get hurt but he called at least an hour ago and he said he would call again if he needed anything. Then again, something bad could've happened to him and he wasn't able to call. For all she knew the boy was lying on an alley seriously hurt or worst dead. 'No, don't even go there Ember. He said he had it covered and you promised you would trust him' she though, pacing around the room debating what to do next.