Chapter 12

He smiled at me and nodded for me to come. I jumped down to the fence where he was standing.

"Can I talk to you after? Kind of important." He said and tangled his hands with the fence. He looked me in the eyes and how could I say no to those gorgeous hazel eyes. How could anyone, for that matter, say no to those eyes? I nodded shyly and he nodded back. Before running off to the coach, he placed his hand on mine and smiled. The butterflies in my stomach caused me to smile and as I turned around I saw Shawn.

"What did that douche want you?" he asked and looked at Matt angrily.

"Nothing." I said and shook him off. The same question was repeated as Julie and Katherine came back with a couple slices of pizza in their hands. I repeated the same answer.

The game ended 7-6 to us.

"You coming?" Katherine asked and shivered due to the fact that it was raining.

"I think I'm gonna wait for Con." I lied. "You guys go ahead! I see you tomorrow." And so they did.

I sat down on one of the benches and looked out over the field. The rain poured down over me but I didn't bother to move, so I just sat there. Watching a couple of Junior's run to their cars. Hearing the traffic from far. Smelling the food from the cafeteria. Feeling the rain slide down my skin, and draining my clothes.

Twenty minutes later, it was still raining. By then, I had switched position from sitting to laying. I closed my eyes and felt the rain on my face. Suddenly, I felt how someone joined me. I peeked and saw Matt laying there. My left side touching his right. His hand next to mine and his head just a book length away.

"I'm sorry for this morning." He said and broke the silence. I still had my eyes closed, facing the sky. It got silent for a while. I didn't want to answer. "I have a brother." He said and I could feel his head turn to me. Still on his back, only with his head facing me, he said; "Well, technically, I have two brothers. And a sister." I didn't answer but I kept listening. "His name is Ryan. And it was his penny you borrowed this morning." He said and sat up. I sat up next to him.

"Yeah okay? What's the big deal? I was just borrowing it." I said, kind of annoyed.

"Well, see... Ryan was in a car accident. I found out the morning of our date. That's why I got an F on that test. I was pretty stressed out." He said and pulled his fingers through his hair.

"I'm so sorry Matt... I-I didn't know." I said and jumped closer to him. "Is he alright?" I asked carefully while caressing his back.

"He's in a coma." He said and I could see the tears forming in his eyes. They mixed up with the raindrops and slid down his cheeks. I twisted my body so I could hug him. I had my arms around his waist. One leg hanging down the bench and the other laying behind his back. Just as I put my chin on his shoulder he turned and hugged me back. And then he just let it all out. All emotions he'd probably been carrying around, he let out. His uneven breaths made me hug him even tighter. He tried to say something but the sobs stopped him.

"Shh..." I said and caressed his lower back. "Everything will be okay. It will all be okay." I said quietly, even though I had no idea how bad the situation was. He let go of the hug and put his hands to his face. Covered up. He was still crying and I felt so bad.

"I just want to go home." he said in-between his sobs. I nodded and took his hand. He walked close to me all the way to his car. He didn't cry anymore. He was actually smiling as we got to his car.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked, still holding his hand, still standing close to him.

"You make me happy." He said and looked me in the eyes. Oh, here comes the weak knees. I smiled at the ground.

"Jump in, I'm driving you home." He said and opened the passenger seat door.

"I-I'm okay with walking, Matt." I assured him.

"Y/N, it wasn't a question, I'm driving you home." He said determined. I did as he told me and he drove me home.