CHAPTER 2

"What did you just say?" His words echoed in my ears, but I pretended not to hear him. Instead, I busied myself with opening the first aid kit and tending to my wound. I couldn't summon the courage to meet his gaze.

Growing impatient with my silence, Angelo abruptly took the cotton from my hand and took over the task of treating my wound himself. Without looking at me, he asked again, "Now, can you answer my question?"

I cleared my throat, preparing to respond, but before I could utter a word, he cut me off with a serious tone. "Oh wait! Before I forget, there's something I've been meaning to tell you," he said, his words tinged with sincerity. My heart skipped a beat. Could this be the moment he confesses his feelings?

"I don't know how to start this, and I really want your answer," Angelo continued, his face calm but flushed with a hint of blush. He paused the treatment, and I sat up straight, my anticipation growing.

"What is it all about, Ange?" I asked, my voice filled with both curiosity and nerves.

"Actually, this is some mushy stuff, sweetheart," he admitted, brushing his hair back. He stood up, briefly turning his back to me before facing me again.

"Gosh, Ange! You know I don't like suspense. Just say it," I urged, unable to contain my impatience.

'Tell me you love me. Tell me, and I'll gladly accept your feelings,' my subconscious yearned, eagerly waiting for his words.

My hands grew sweaty, and my nerves intensified, causing a slight tremor. Angelo's expression softened into that of a shy little boy, and it was undeniably endearing to witness.

"I'm in love," he finally confessed. "She's a friend of mine, and she means a lot to me."

'Okay, I'm listening. Just say the magic words now, Angelo! Don't keep me in suspense,' my impatient mind silently pleaded.

And then, in a moment that felt like time had frozen, he dropped to one knee, his killer smile in place. 'Oh God, this is it! I may be only 16 years old, but if he wants me to be his girl, I'll gladly accept.'

"I... I..." he stuttered, the anticipation hanging in the air.

"Yo... You what?" I stammered, my heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and nerves.

"I love..." he began, his words trailing off.

My heart raced even faster, and in a rush of adrenaline, I found myself standing, ready to embrace his confession. But just as I was about to declare my own love for him, he uttered the words that shattered my hopes.

"I love Eunice San Miguel."

In that instant, my world crumbled around me. The words hung in the air, and my own declaration of love was left unspoken, lost in the painful realization that Angelo's heart belonged to someone else.

"So, who's the lucky guy who caught your attention, sweetheart?" Angelo's grin hinted at his curiosity, and I found myself instinctively getting up and leaning on the railings of our patio, trying to avoid his intent gaze.

"Unlucky guy, you mean?" I chuckled, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Unlucky? How so? You're the sweetest girl I've ever known. Any guy would feel lucky if someone like you liked him," he said, his words laced with sweetness. I nearly choked on my juice at the unexpected compliment.

"So, who is he? Is he someone I know?" Angelo persisted, refusing to let the topic go.

"He is..." I paused, glancing at Angelo with a meaningful smile on my face.