Chapter 4 - The party

I drove my way to Toms house, thanking god it only a 10 minute drive. I pulled into the driveway of what seemed like a mansion. The house was dimly lit, and I could hear music coming from inside. I made my way to the entrance and walked inside. The house was huge. As you walked in, you could see a small bridge like structure stretching from one side of the house to another, as the roof was nearly 20 feet tall. To the left was a dining room, with red solo cups strewn about. In front was a big living room with drunken people scattered around, and the dining room and living room created a loop binding by the kitchen, where party platters and drinks lined the tables. Within the living room were stairs leading up stairs, stairs leading to the basement. The room was glowing purple from lights somewhere hidden in the house, while punk rock music echoed through the house. I made my was through the crowd of people to the drink table. I grabbed myself a beer. I stood there awkwardly until a big pair of hands grabbed my shoulders.

"Glad to see you came. This party kind of blows but now that you're here it just got a lot better." He nearly had to tell over the music.

Tom had clearly had a few drinks. Before I could say anything, he spun me around and looked me up and down.

"Wow. You look great." He shouted.

I blushed.

"Thanks." I managed to choke out. "Who are all these people?" I said. Speaking louder.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. Mark and Travis invited them. Oh yeah, how about I introduce you to them?"

"Okay" I replied.

Tom steered me through the crowd and downstairs where Mark and Travis were.

"Boys, this is Liz." Tom said proudly.

They both stood and checked me out. I felt like a deer in headlights.

"Damn Tom, you weren't kidding, she's a dime." Mark smirked, nudging Toms arm. "I'm Mark, it's nice to meet you Liz. And hey, if you ever get tired of him, you know where to find me." Mark added, making sure he implied the underlying message. It's clear he had been drinking too. He sat back down and snickered. Tom punched him in the arm fairly hard. Travis was next. He was quiet.

"Hey I'm Travis. Tom never shuts up about you." I blushed harder now trying to conjure up a sentence.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you guys." I tried to act cool.  "I've heard some of your music. It's pretty good."

"We know." Mark said. A typical dipshit.

Tom high fived them both and brought me back up to the party.

"Don't worry about them they're just drunk." Tom said. "And they're just fucking morons in general."

"Don't worry. Ive heard worse."

Tom laughed. After a while Tom mingled around making small talk with some people. I did the same, while having a few more beers. I was a little tipsy. The night died down and people left. I was the last ones. I found Tom downstairs as the guys left.

"Just saying goodnight and thanks for the invite." I said. I tripped on a shoe, catching myself on Tom.

That's embarrassing, I thought. He sat me down on his couch and we talked for a few more hours. We laughed and laughed and grew closer and closer. After a while, I felt myself getting tired, so I decided it's be best to leave.

"I better go. I have to work tomorrow and I know this hang over is gonna suck."

"You're in no condition to drive. You're gonna stay the night."

"No it's alright. I can call a cab."

"No I don't mind, really. I have a lot of spare rooms. It gets lonely in this big house." He said, a weird trace of sadness in his voice.

He showed me the way up to the spare bedroom. It was on one side of the "bridge" and his was on the other.

"I have some spare shirts you can wear. I also have pants but they're probably not gonna fit you. The bathroom is out the door to the right, and you're free to eat or drink anything you want." He offered. He was sweet.

"I'll take the shirt. And don't worry about the pants. Mine are fine."

He smiled and came back with an old red shirt.

"Thanks" I said. "Well, goodnight."

He returned the expression and left, closing the door behind him.

I took off my shirt and put on his. I took off my pants and slept in my underwear. I crawled into the bed, which smelled like Tom. I closed my eyes and wondered. My feelings for Tom had deepened. He made me nervous. He made me smile. He made me happy. I couldn't deny it. I had never felt this for anyone. And I didn't want to. I had spent too long building up walls, barricading myself. But again, it was Tom.

I didn't remember falling asleep, but I woke up to a room full of sun and a massive head ache. I made my way to the bathroom, cleaning up the mascara under my eyes and threw my hair in a bun. I went back to my room and checked the time. Noon. Crap. I was supposed to be at work a few hours ago. I walked down stairs to find Tom sitting at the counter eating.

"There's some Advil and water left on the counter for you." He said. "My head feels like a baseball that just got hit for a lucky home run."

"Mine too."

I took the water and Advil, observing the surroundings in the process. The house looked different in daylight. It had then become obvious Tom was staring at me, making me realize I had no pants on.

"Oh I'm sorry I forgot my pants." I rushed out, making my way to the stair to grab them.

"No, it's fine. I was just admiring you. You're beautiful. I'd like it better if you kept them off."

I turned a made eye contact with Tom, then remembered I had to be at work.

"You know I would love to but I have to work today." I made that up, ignoring Toms remark, avoiding the sexual tension. Could he really be hitting on me? No. No. You're over thinking this. Don't let him in. You spent too long protecting yourself to do this.

"Maybe just call in sick and spend the day with me."

I looked at him yet again. He had a flicker of hope and dare in his eyes. How could I say no?

"If you insist." I said, trying to avoid letting him know I was into him. But he clearly knew. He knew from the start.

He grinned, knowing he had persuaded me.