Chapter 1 - Where it all began

Chips. Check. Soda. Check. Pizza. Check. Cups. Check. Plates. Check. It seemed I had everything I needed for my gathering tonight. Not really a gathering though, just a small get together with a few friends to celebrate my 24th birthday. I checked off the last item on my shopping list and headed to check out. There were many people in the store today. The lines were long, producing a long sigh out of me. I paced around a few times before finding the shortest line and joining in with everyone else. I listened to the common sounds and conversations as the line shortened. The click of the computers. The cha-ching of the register. The squeaky wheels on the shopping carts. The crumpling of bags. "Hi how are you... that'll be $6.42... have a nice day." After what felt like ages, I got ringer up and made my way to my car in the sunny San Diego sun. It was a small shitty car. But it was my small shitty car. A red beater. I unlocked the trunk and threw the bags of goodies in there. As I was closing the trunk, a white pick-up came flying down right towards me. I threw myself over a few feet, making sure I didn't get hit, but my car did. The truck hit the side of the bumper, leaving a dent and taking off some paint. I turned to scan the action, making sure no one else got hurt. The white pick up had parked itself a few spots down, and I could see a man walking over. He was fairly tall, about 6'4", and we wearing a red Hurley shirt and some baggy khaki pants. His head was shaggy and he had a lip piercing. A classic punk look.

"Hey, I'm so sorry about that, my foot slipped on the gas and I wasn't paying attention. Again, I'm really sorry."

He seemed familiar. More specifically, his voice seemed familiar. Who was he?

"It's no big deal, just watch it next time. You're lucky no one got hurt." I added a little attitude, making sure he got the point.

"Yeah I know." He looked at my car. "Here let me give you some money for that, so you can take it down to the shop." He pleaded. I was too nice a person to except it, even though I was still slightly irritated.

"No it's fine. I can handle it on my own, it's just a little bump. Thank you though."

"Oh come on, I did that let me help fix it." He pressed on.

"No really it's fine. Look, thank you for the offer, but I gotta head outta here. I'm gonna be late for this party. Oh, what's your name?" My curiosity got the best of me.

"Tom. Tom Delonge." He stated, looking fairly confused. His name sounded familiar, as did his face.

"That name sounds familiar. Have I seen you before?"

"I play in a band. You might've seen me on tv or something."

"What band?"

"Blink 182."

Thats why. I had heard a few of their songs in the past. Especially that one that kept saying "na na na na." I couldn't think of its name.

"Yeah I think I've heard a few of your songs. Like I said, thanks again for the offer but I gotta go. Drive safer please."

Tom, still looking a little surprised, said, "At least let me buy you a coffee or something sometime. I owe you for this."

"Alright whatever. Meet me at the California coffee shop tomorrow around 9 am."

His face showed relieve, as if he had fixed the whole situation. "Well alright then, I will see you tomorrow. What's your name by the way?"

"Elizabeth. Most people call me Liz."

"Ok then Liz, see you tomorrow."

I waved him away as I hopped in my car and drove home. I made my way to my apartment and unlocked the door. I set up everything I needed for the party. After a while people started showing up, along with my friend James. My best friend. I made small talk with the guests around until I finally made my way to him.

"You'll never guess what happened today" I said.

"What's that?"

"Some guy hit my car, and it turned out it was Tom Delonge. I didn't realize who he was until I asked."

"No way!! He's like, crazy famous. Especially after their new album. And their hit song, All the small things."

That was the song I couldn't remember.

"Oh well, I'm meeting him for coffee tomorrow. He wants to make up for hitting my car."

James nearly exploded. "You're kidding! You're gonna have coffee with a rock star! You gotta get an autograph."

"Look, he's cool and all, I just don't really care that much for him. To me, he's just another human on this planet."

"Let me break it to you sis, if everyone viewed things that way, then things would be a lot different. Oh, happy birthday by the way" He chuckled to himself.

"Ok James, and thanks" I laughed.

I made my way around a few more times as the night died down til the party ended. I cleaned up and went straight to bed, being that I worked all day. It was hectic. All these ladies came into the store screaming and complaining, while kids cried and teens complained. It wasn't a hard job, but pretending to like people is hard.

I shut my eyes and dreamed about the past. I dreamed about the way things went down. I dreamed about the ways things could've been different. I dreamed about life beyond the stars. I dreamed about life beyond death. I dreamed and dreamed.