"I thought I was getting you for my special present." John sat next to his wife.

"You get this one first and that one next."

Inside was a small drawing, framed, it was maybe 8 inches square. In the picture was John, Hannah, Johnny, and Alexandria. Alexandria was holding something on her lap. John shook his head, not understanding.

"Who did you have do this? It's a lovely picture."

"I did it."

"I didn't know you could draw." How much do I not know about my own wife?

"I'm not the greatest nor the worst but if you look at drawing again there is something for you to notice."

John did finally notice and laughed. "Planning our future already?"

"Not that far into the future actually."

"Alexandria, do you mean that...."

"You will be a father again come August." She smiled softly

"How long have you known?"

"A bit."

"Why did you wait to tell me?"

Saying nothing, she merely looked at her husband. He understood immediately. Still, the thought of a child! John Thornton, the often dour and scowling Master of Marlborough Mills let out a loud WHOOOP! Pulling Alexandria up, he spun her around happily. When he stopped, John's hands threaded through her dark hair. He gazed into his wife's eyes with the wonderment he felt.

Having always wanted more children, he had given up all hopes of having more when Margaret passed. It had been mentioned a couple of times with Alex. He just never really thought about it fully.

There was a loud knock on the door, all the way from her rooms Hannah Thornton had her John's whoop.

"John! Alexandria?! What's wrong??"

"Good thing we aren't frolicking around naked just yet." He whispered. The look of his once carefree boyhood sparkled in his eyes. Opening the door, John looked to his mother with a smile. "Nothing at all. Everything is perfect.

"What on earth was that noise?" Hannah still looked frightened. Even her grandson knew better than to be that loud.

"I will be a father again come summer." John stood proud while he smiled happily.

"You are certain?" Hannah asked Alex.

"Yes. I'm thinking around mid-August."

Hugging both her son and daughter-in-law, Hannah gave her slight smile at the pair. "I am looking forward to having a new baby in the house. Congratulations."

"Thank you Mother Thornton."

"Thank you Mother."

Hannah left the parents to their excitement.

They finally were able to lay in bed, comfortable together. John's strong hands danced across her still flat belly, as if waiting for the baby to kick. Alex put her hand over his. She was content.

"I think since knowing you, I have spent more time naked than all my other years put together."

"Is this a complaint?" She teased. "I am sure I can find more layers to put on my body to keep you wanting anything more."

"I will burn your petticoats if you even think about that!"

Alex laid a hand to John's cheek. "My sweet John, oh how I love you so."