15

There was a change in John after the physical fight he had with his wife. Still horrified by his actions, it made him take extreme care with everyone around him. This went especially for Alexandria. There was a sadness to her that he had never seen before. His laughing, smiling wife had aged with the fight somewhere deep inside. No longer did she smile or laugh as spontaneously as she once did. There was one single exception, which was with Johnny.

The heavy wet snow kept most everyone inside after church one Sunday. John was sitting reading a book, Hannah Thornton was working on needlepoint, and Alexandria and Johnny were sitting by John's feet stringing popcorn together for the Christmas tree. The red ribbons were already tied to the branches and small ornaments were hung with care.

"Mama?"

"Yes my boy?"

"May we go work on Christmas presents when we are done with the popcorn?"

"But of course."

"Thank you."

John and his mother shared a smile, watching Alexandria and Johnny. While both Hannah and John were welcome to share in the creating of the festivities, Johnny had asked his father to allow him and his new mum to do most of it. It would be their first family Christmas.

Pine cones and pine boughs were set up around the home, tied with ribbons of red and gold. Baskets of oranges pierced with clove were also found. Johnny and Alex made wreaths for the doors. She taught him how to sew so they made little ornaments for the tree.

Having started making items months ago, there was a pile of wrapped presents for the mill hands and their children. Quilts, cold weather wear, little toys, were wrapped and color coded for ages. On Christmas Eve, the entire mill and their families would be fed a hearty luncheon and paid for a full day of work.

Johnny made his grandmother lavender sachets and helped Alex wrap them. For his father, who was always reading, Johnny learned to make paper. With Alex's helping hand the pieces were trimmed and bound. Johnny wrote stories for his father in his careful penmanship and with the help of Alex once more, illustrated them as well.

As it was almost time for supper, John went to tell Alexandria that they needed to finish up. He heard their conversation from around the corner. John was unable to bring himself to disturb his wife and son. Hannah, wondering what was taking the rest of the family so long, went after her son. He stopped his mother to listen.

"Mama, what do you want for Christmas?"

"I want for nothing. I have my son, you. I have my husband, your father. I have my mother, Mother Thornton." The smile that curved a pretty mouth upwards told the rest of the story, what Alexandria said was genuine.

"You really don't want anything?"

"My sweet sweet son, all that I want is for your father, grandmother and you to have the happiest Christmas ever."

The five year old looked at her quizzically. "Am I really your son?"

"What do you mean Johnny?"

"I didn't come from your belly. So are you really my mama?"

Alex picked the boy up and sat him on her lap. Kissing the top of his head, she smiled. "You are correct. You didn't come from my belly, but as long as you want me to be your mama, I will be. I love you with all my heart John Thornton. You are my son and you always will be."

Johnny turned around and threw his arms around Alexandria's neck. She hugged him tight. Trying to hide her own tears, she suggested they start to pick up. It would be dinner time soon.