3

Chuckling softly, Alex was amused by how her brain had made everything come together in this bizarre dream. She automatically assumed she was dreaming, what else could it be? There was plenty of money, clothing, and virtually anything else she needed for herself, at least from what was available at the time.

Given the period in time, alas, antibiotics weren't going to be around for another 60 years or more. The same went for antibacterial soaps. Alexandria was able to make both without really a problem. Thank god she had some knowledge in the realm of pharmaceuticals. Other remedies that she knew worked were mixed together from much of the items the previous physician had on hand. Splints, plaster of Paris, and other items were quickly added to the stores of things she may need. Notes were jotted messily on pieces of paper. So this writing with a quill was annoying. Alex frowned. She would kill for a good Mont Blanc.

After everything was finished, including the hiring of help, it would take another day for someone to seek out Alex's help. Her first patient happened to be brought in by Mrs. Hannah Thornton.

After introductions were made, Alex enquired what the problem was.

"Miss Copeland, this is my grandson John Thornton Jr. We tend to call him Johnny."

"It's Doctor Copeland, Mrs. Thornton. Just because I am not male does not mean I am any less of a physician." The words were mild but Alex looked directly into the older woman's eyes when speaking them. She could easily tell that John and Hannah Thornton were related.

"How is his stool?" Alex gently inquired. She was pretty certain she knew what was wrong.

"Liquid."

"Vomiting? Itchy areas of his skin?"

"Yes to both."

"Watch my finger, ok Johnny?" She smiled wide at the little boy.

Alex checked out his eyes by making him look left, right, up and down. She checked the strength and reflexes of the boy. She let Johnny play with the items she used after she was finished. He was fascinated by the stethoscope and listened to both Alex's and his own heartbeat.

It seemed to Hannah Thornton like Alexandria was playing with the boy instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with him. The boy was failing to thrive. He was small for his age. The mucus membranes of the nose were inflamed as were the mouth and throat. He also had a rash around his mouth.

"You have a very handsome grandson Mrs. Thornton." Alex smiled. "What does his diet consist of?"

"Milk, meat, fruits and vegetables. Bread soaked in milk. The normal foods you give a child."

"This may sound strange, but I am positive it will work. Remove all dairy from his diet. No milk, butter, anything of the like. Nothing made with milk or butter either, such as a pastry or pudding. You need to keep him out of anything that comes from a nipple, teat or an udder."

"DR. COPELAND!" Mrs. Thornton didn't appreciate the terminology.

"My apologies ma'am." Christ, she thought. If these people heard what I say in the operating theater I would be sent to the gallows for sure.

"I will give you a tincture to give Johnny with every meal as well. Just use it until the bottle runs out. That should help ease some of his discomfort."

"What is wrong with him?"

Alex actually had to think for a quick half second. When were allergies discovered? Shit. She had no idea. "Dairy products make him ill." Simple works best, she hoped. "If you would please let his mother know and anyone that may give Johnny food or treats? Having everyone working together will help him feel better faster."