Chapter 1

As he entered his office floor, everyone stood up to greet him. While nodding he made his way into his cabin stopping only for a second at his door, to turn his head towards the workstation on his right and bark, "Miss Jaiswal. Dictation. In my office. Now." 

With that he disappeared in his office leaving a visibly resigned to her fate Miss Jaiswal, full name Miss Kavya Jaiswal, his secretary of four months, hastily collecting a notepad and a pen and almost running to his office.  All the while trying to ignore the sympathetic looks of rest of the office that was directed towards her.

"May I come in sir," she sought permission after carefully opening the door a sliver.

"Hmmm," he grunted.

She entered and stood behind the guest chairs, with notepad and pen in position to start taking dictation though her boss was busy firing up his laptop. She did not want to give him any reason to start spitting his venomous fire again. If she would idly stand there waiting for him to finish then he would yell, if she would remind him to start the dictation then also he would insult her in some way for opening her mouth. She had learned this the hard way, so nowadays she was tried to of stay prepared for what she had been called in to do with all senses on high alert.

After painfully suffocating five minutes he looked up from his laptop screen, irritated at not getting a reason from her to start his tirade, and started dictating. Well, the whole day still laid ahead and there will be plenty of times to let this girl know, yet again, what he thought of her.

.

.

.

.

Swayam Raisinghania, age thirty-two years, height five-feet eleven-inches, fair complexion, handsome face with hair cropped short, soft brown eyes and a friendly smile always in place. No one could guess by his looks that he was one of the most cunning and ruthless Corporate Lawyer of Mumbai city.

Loaded with corporate secrets ranging from dangerous to heinous he had connections seeping deep into political lobbies. He was very young for the kind of success he had garnered in the field of law, but he deserved every bit of it as he had worked his butt off for it as a fresher, working for as long as nineteen hours a day, following cases at the expense of his health and safety, along with impressing right kind of people, and skillfully winning his initial small cases in the court. After eleven years of toiling and finally with a push of luck he was now a partner in highly prestigious Ruia and Raisinghania Associates, of which he was the only active partner. Childless Mr. Ruia had handed over the reins of this law firm to Swayam two years back and had retired to Lonawala with his wife to enjoy the remaining days of their lives.

SR, as he was known to the world for he hated being addressed as Mr. Raisinghania for reasons unknown, was the best boss one could ask for. A tough taskmaster but very responsible towards the people on his payroll. He was also quite considerate towards the demands of life of his employees where there were no cars to commute and difficulties that come with public transport, impromptu leaves that were needed for sick kids or spouses, advances on salaries which were required for varied reasons and that inter-office bonding was the only social life for some people. Get his work done right and on time, after that, he did not bother with anyone. He was kind of aloof and cold in that sense. But having said that, he was also a very generous person who would order lunch for all fifty-two people of staff on his personal account, whenever their firm would win a case, which was quite often.

His staff was in an awe of him, all of them but one. Kavya Jaiswal. She had joined the firm as a secretary to one of the senior lawyers and had impressed her boss with her promptness, dedication, and diligence. Work atmosphere in R&R Associates was already good and her boss had liked her work. Her life was set. Or so she thought. Swayam Raisinghania, the owner of the firm who was fighting a very high-profile case in Supreme Court in Delhi since last two months that time, had come back to Mumbai. And in her life. Like a volcano yearning to erupt. He had seen her in a meeting after two days of his arrival and before she knew it she was hastily transferred to the post of HIS secretary the very next day without any explanations.