Hollywood Kiss

Most unlikely as a boyfriend candidate, Gray Wexler is the object of my desire.

"Is the water cold?" I ask, as I sit down next to him.

"Hey, Callie."

"Are you going to the dance tonight?" I ask.

"Maybe."

His hat brim shades his gray-colored eyes. Oh, those eyes.

Weekdays, Gray isn't at the beach club—he has an internship on Wall Street. The seniors grab up all the internships leaving sophomores like me with nothing to do all summer except for hanging around a pool and volunteering at the food pantry. Don't get me wrong—volunteering is a good thing, especially since Scott volunteers there, too.

Scott doesn't have to find a paid internship because mommy and daddy leave lots of cash on the dresser for him. I shouldn't say such things about Scott because he is my good friend, even though he's two years older than I am.

Last winter, 31 inches of snow fell on New York City. The 24-hour snowfall broke all records. For three days, the city was in a state of near paralysis, but there was Scott wearing a half-face mask and ski suit trudging through the snow, towards my house all the way from the other side of town.

~

I scan the outdoor dance floor to find Gray. Without the parents and little kids, the Linden Beach Club at night is a perfect place for mischief, with its padded chaise lounges, isolated sundecks, and heated swimming pool.

"Lookin' good, Callie. Wanna dance?"

I nod. The DJ plays "Light My Fire."

I can hardly believe I'm dancing with Gray Wexler.

"Want to take a walk?" Gray asks.

"Sure."

Gray heads for the back of the beach club, where it's really dark. I know we're not supposed to be heading back there, away from the guards and others. He walks upstairs to the sundeck; I follow. Gray motions for me to join him on a chaise lounge. I do.

"You're so pretty," Gray whispers as he puts his hand on my padded bra. He doesn't bother to kiss me.

~

I pull myself together in the locker room. Alone now, I walk over to the kids' playground. I start to climb the monkey bars in the dark. On the top bar, sits Scott. "Whoa! You scared me," I say.

"Same here."

"I thought you weren't coming."

"I didn't go to the dance. You can see that," Scott says. "Are you having fun?"

"Not really. It's not going according to my dream plan. I thought I'd have a kiss to remember this summer," I say.

"Did you know that actors in films really don't kiss each other?" Scott asks.

"That's ridiculous. Of course, they're kissing!"

"Nope. Here, let me show you. The man is actually kissing his own thumb!" Scott puts his thumb on my mouth and the remaining fingers of his hand on my cheek. He brings his lips close to mine and suddenly pulls his thumb away.

We kiss.