Hitchhikers

"Boy, it's cold out there!" 12 year old Aidan mutters, taking off his winter clothes, and closing the door to their penthouse. He looks around, noticing that no one is around.

"Hey," he calls, "where is everybody?" He walks around, but then notices the table covered in decorations, and appetizers set out as well. Being very hungry, he picks up a pickle off the plate when a tall, beautiful women enters.

"Drop that pickle!" She says. Aidan jumps, not realizing she entered the room.

"Oh, come on Marge I'm hungry!" Aidan complains.

"Well, go get something else, this food is for your Dad's surprise party."

"So," Aidan responds, "the surprise will be no pickles!"

"Aidan..." Marge scolds.

"All right, all right," Aidan sighs, putting the pickle back.

Just then, Paige their housekeeper comes in, carrying some balloons. "Hey Aidan, why don't you lend a mouth and help blow up these balloons?"

"Sure thing, Paige." Aidan walks over to the dining table, where all the balloons are. Both Marge and Paige head back to the kitchen to get the food ready when Will, Aidan's 14 year old brother, walks in.

"Brr, it's cold," Will says, taking off his jacket and shaking snow out of his wavy brown hair. "Oh, hey Aidan," he says, walking over to him.

"Hey Will, mind helping me blow up the balloons?" Aidan asks.

"Sure thing Aidan."

Marge walks back in, carrying a large box, and sets it on the table.

"Oh, hey Marge," Will says, after blowing up one of the balloons.

"Hi Will," she says, adjusting the box, "do you boys want a sneak peak of your Dad's cake?"

"Would we!" Both the boys say, walking over. Marge raises the box and shows them a cake that looks exactly like their father, with brownish grey hair and his blue eyes.

"Wow! Never thought I'd see Dad's face on a platter!" Aidan laughs, looking over the cake.

Both Will and Marge laugh. "Now, your father isn't supposed to be home till 6, so we have plenty of time to get ready." Paige says, entering the main room again, carrying party hats.

"Are you sure he won't be back till then? Marge asks concerned.

"I'm positive. He's at the health club."

"Good. I want to be a surprise. I had told him I would be out of town for his birthday, and that I won't be back to town till tomorrow." Marge laughs.

"Marge, you're a great girlfriend to our dad," Aidan says, "going through all this trouble for him."

Marge smiles, "Thanks Aidan."

Just then, the phone rings, so Paige picks it up. "Hello, Hayes residence...what...really...ok, thank you." She hangs the phone up quickly and says, "that was the doorman, he said Mr. Hayes is on his way up! Quickly, everyone grab all this stuff and put it in the kitchen!"

Everyone scrambles to get everything cleaned up, when Aidan remembers that Marge isn't supposed to be here.

"Quick, Marge, hide under the desk!"

Marge quickly does, just before Mr. Hayes opens the door. Aidan jumps onto the couch, pretending to be relaxed.

"Hi Dad," Aidan says, in the least obvious way he can.

"Hi son," Mr. Hayes replies, looking a little disappointed.

Just then Will enters from the kitchen acting surprised. "Well I'll be darned, what are you doing home so early Dad? I thought you were going to the club for a workout?"