Chapter 16 - Proposal

The war was over, but I had failed. Father did not change his mind; therefore, I was to be sent back to Asgard. I did not want to, but I had no other option, and unfortunately, today was that day. Steve and I rode on his motorcycle to the meeting place. I was silent because I could not form any words. Steve had been suspiciously quiet this morning, despite the night we had yesterday. It was unlike him.

We arrived at the spot where Uncle Thor, Father, and I would be sent back to Asgard. Tony, Natasha, Clint, and Dr. Banner showed up as well. Tony gave Uncle Thor the Tesseract, which would be our way to Asgard. Father was bound at the wrists and gagged at the mouth. Uncle Thor and Father were looking at me to tell me it was time to go. I started to walk forward I tried to hold my tears from falling, but as I reached halfway, I stopped. My tears started to fall, and I looked to the ground.

"My dear niece, why do you cry?" Uncle Thor questioned.

"I cannot leave, Uncle Thor." I managed to say as I looked back to Steve. "I cannot leave my love, my life here." Then, I lost my composure and began to openly sob. "Please, don't make me leave Steve!" I begged and sobbed uncontrollably.

"Cap," Tony said, "I don't want to see your girl cry any more than I do. Just do it already!"

"Alright." Steve relented as he made his way to me and wrapped me in an embrace. "Deep breaths, Lily. I'm right here." he soothed as he pets my hair. I did as he instructed and took a few deep, calming breaths. "There you go, sweetheart."

"Steve, what is going on?" I asked him once I gained control of myself.

"Well, after you went to go see Loki and after the meeting, I told Fury I wanted to talk to the Council to try to get you to stay. I couldn't bear the thought of you leaving me. He let me speak with them. When they asked why you were important to me, I told them the truth. Now, the Council knows you're my girlfriend. They told me that for me to have you stay is to marry you." Steve truthfully told me.

"Steve..." I tried to say more, but once he unattached himself from the embrace and took one knee, he held out a ring nestled in black cushioned box.

"Lily," Steve started, "my princess, we have been stuck together for a year and a half, and we've been together for six months, but trust me when I say you are the one I want in my life. I can't see myself being with anyone else but you. So, my princess, will you do the honor of becoming my queen?"

I couldn't speak as tears ran down my face once more, but I vigorously nodded my head yes. After he stood up, I ran to his embrace as he opened his arms. He kissed my head as he put the ring on my finger. Only then did I look up and kiss him. I was oblivious to the fact people were cheering in the background. Once we broke our kiss, I looked back at my father to see that he had a tear in his eye. His daughter wasn't a baby anymore. His daughter spread her wings and flew into the arms of another man. I walked over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Behave, Father. I would be really happy if you walked me down the aisle on my wedding." I told him as he gave me a small nod. I was about to say more, but Steve swept me into a bridal embrace. "Steve," I giggled as he chuckled.

Tell him I give him my blessing since the soldier took care of you. Father mentally told me. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know your mother would want you to be happy. As do I, my dear. I have caused you much grief these last few months, but it is better for me to make sure you are happy. Nothing would make me gladder than if you were to marry him.

I will, Father. Thank you. I responded before I relayed Father's message to Steve.

"Thank you, sir." Steve told Loki. "I promise to make her happy to the best of my ability."

"Take care of my niece, Steve, or else you will answer to me if you hurt her." Uncle Thor warned.

"I'll hurt myself if I hurt her. She's too precious." Steve replied.

"Very well." Uncle Thor nodded to everyone else before the Tesseract's energy sent them back to Asgard.

"This calls for celebration!" Tony called out as we made our way back to them.

"Maybe another day, Tony." I told him. "We will celebrate, do not think that we will not, but today, I want it with my fiancé." Tony nodded and walked over to his car, where Dr. Banner was waiting. Natasha and Clint came over and gave me a hug and Steve a pat on the back before they left. Steve carried me to the motorcycle and put me down. He mounted the cycle first, and I followed. "Home?"

"Home." Steve agreedand sped off towards our apartment. Definitelythe best day ever.