Chapter 12 - Finding More Answers

As I walked into the room, I found Father sitting cross-legged in the back of cylindrical cell, leaning on the glass. His eyes were closed until he heard the closing of the door. Once he figured out who arrived, he stood, walked closer to where I was, and sat back down in the same position. However, he leaned forward rather than back.

Sitting in a chair across from him, I said, "Greetings, Father. You wished to see me?"

"Yes, I did." Father confirmed. "Tell me, does your team know you are my daughter?"

"Only Steve and Director Fury." I answered. "Do you honestly think I will lie to my lover?"

"Of course not." Father taunted with a bitter smirk. "It's in your title, is it not?"

"I didn't come for idle chatter." I informed him. "You wished to see me. I am here to see why."

"You don't beat around the bush, do you?" Father inquired, amused. "Just like your mother."

His comment pulled at my heart, but I made sure my expression didn't change. "So I've been told."

"I've called you here because I need you to help me with the war." Father told me, and my eyes narrowed at him. He told me that he was fine that I wasn't.

"Is this the Tesseract or Thanos talking?" Saying Thanos' name caused Father's eyes to bulge out.

"How do you know that name?" Father asked me fearfully.

"I did my own searching." I replied before I continued, "You seem to forget that you and I share the same magic capabilities. Now, answer my question: Is it Thanos talking or is it Father?" He didn't answer, so I leaned forward and saw it was Thanos. His eyes were different colors. "It's Thanos."

"How can you tell?" Father asked, impressed.

"Your eye color is different." I told him as I sat back. "And the answer to your request is no. I told you once, and I'll tell you again, I refuse to help. I won't be that monster to help you win the Earth."

"Which means I'm the monster?" Father inquired angrily, but it was Thanos question through him.

"A monster is a creature that isn't hesitant to kill." I gave him my definition as I stood up. "You've killed eighty people in two days. Innocent lives lost. That makes you the monster that parents tell their children at night. And Uncle Thor is right." I was at the entrance when I said my last part. "The throne suits you ill, Thanos. Don't send for me again." After that, I slammed the door shut and stalked off with no intent of a destination. Some of those things I said to him were harsh, but I didn't care at the moment. I was still bitter that because of him, I would probably be saying farewell to Steve. So deep in my thoughts, I ended up slamming into Uncle Thor.

"My sincerest apologies, Uncle." I apologized as I rubbed my forehead.

"It is all well, my dear." Uncle Thor reassured. "Is everything well with you?"

"I leave Asgard to escape war, meet and live with Captain America, fall in love with him after Father's "death", and here I am, bargaining for my happiness." I summarized as we started walking to the briefing room. "At the moment, I am an array of emotions."

"How are you bargaining for your happiness?" Uncle Thor asked as we were at the end of the hall.

"The Council, people in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D., made a deal with me. They said that if I could change Father's mind in three days, I could stay. If not, I will be forced to return to Asgard. That was a day ago." I told him and leaned on the wall opposite of him.

"Do you want to return home?" Uncle's face looked confused.

"I'm torn in two, you see." I answered him truthfully. "Part of me wishes to return home, and part of me wishes to remain here on Midgard. It all depends on what bargain Steve is making with the Council."

"I see." Uncle said and crossed his arms.

"How do you stand not seeing Jane?" I wondered. "I understand your royal duties are more important in ranking than mine, but still, how?"

"With the BiFrost gone, I cannot travel between realms. All I can do is rely on Heimdall since he can see everything." Uncle Thor stated. "It's not easy, unfortunately."

"Grandfather has been pushing you to take the throne, hasn't he?" I asked, and Uncle nodded. "He's also forbidding you to love Jane."

"Yes, and he knows my heart belongs to her as well. Yet, he would rather see me with Lady Sif." Uncle commented, which I gave him a smirk. Everyone in a Asgard assumed they would be together.

"Love is weird." It was something we agreed on.

We walked out into the briefing room to meet with Coulson. A picture of a female with words were on a monitor. This was Jane, the woman Uncle Thor was enamored with. He felt the same way I felt about Steve. Coulson noticed us and the direction of Uncle Thor's gaze.

"As soon as Loki took the doctor, we moved Jane Foster. We've got an excellent observatory in Traunsee. She was asked to consult there very suddenly yesterday. Handsome fee, private plane, very remote. She'll be safe." Coulson informed him.

Uncle Thor nodded and said, "Thank you. It's no accident, Loki taking Erik Selvig. I dread what he plans for him once he's done. Erik is a good man."

"He talks about you a lot." Coulson pointed out. "You changed his life. You changed everything around here."

"They were better as they were." Uncle disagrees. Coulson looked at me, and I shrugged. "We pretend on Asgard that we're more advanced, but we...we come here battling like Bilchsteim."

"Like what?" Coulson asked, confused as I let out a laugh.

"Bilchsteim? You know; scaly, big antlers." Uncle Thor tried to imitate once which made me laugh once more. "You don't have those?"

"Don't think so." Coulson said.

"They are repulsive, and they trample everything in their path." I responded as Uncle made his way to the side of ship to look out the window.

"When I first came to Earth, Loki's rage followed me here, and your people paid the price. And now again." Uncle lamented. "In my youth, I courted war."

"War hasn't started, yet." Director Fury interrupted as he walked in. "You think you can make Loki tell us what the Tesseract is?"

"I do not know." Uncle Thor answered truthfully. "Loki's mind is far afield, it's not just power he craves, it's vengeance upon me. There's no pain that would prize his need from him."

"A lot of guys think that until the pain stops." Director said.

"What are you asking me to do?" Uncle Thor questioned.

"I'm asking: what are you prepared to do?" Director asked in turn.

"Loki is a prisoner." Uncle Thor pointed out.

"Then why do I feel like he's the only person on this boat that wants to be here?" Director Fury asked, and Uncle Thor had no response. He, in turn, looked at me. "I know you already saw your father, Lily. Did he say anything?"

"The scepter contains an Infinity Stone, the Mind Stone. He is being influenced by a combination of the scepter and the Tesseract to do someone's bidding. That's what I learned from him. He is using the scepter to try and control the Hulk and tear apart the team. Once this is done, he will go to a heavily populated area, open a portal, and use the Chitauri to win him the Earth." I told them, and both of their eyes widened. "This part I searched for myself."

"Let's go." Director Fury commanded, and Uncle and I nodded. We followed him to the lab that Dr. Banner and Tony were occupying. Let's hope all goes well.