Chapter Seven ~ Ties

Start from the beginning

"Carlisle,  it has been a while. How was your trip?" Dr.  Gerandy asked as he came out into the waiting room.  Dad stood in front of us,  slightly hiding Bella from his immediate view. At first Bella didn't look, clenching her eyes closed and shaking. She must recognize his voice.

"Is it him?" I asked just loud enough for he to hear.

"Oh it was just fine,  my mother seems to be quite the drama queen,  but all was well." Dad answered,  keeping a poker face and holding the conversations,  giving Bella time. Gerandy laughed,  saying something in return. Slowly,  Bella turning her head and opened her eyes to peek at Gerandy. Her breathing accelerated and after only five seconds did she turn away and into my chest. It was enough. Brett and Munn were watching and noticed first when Bella heard his voice. It was the same man. They knew, nodding to each other and went to stand behind him.

All of this transpired within a minute, very quickly. I wrapped my arms around Bella and held her close to me.  As close as I could in waiting room chairs.

"Dr.  John Gerandy,  you are under arrest for the malpractice of human trafficking directly associated with the organization of Volturi.  You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?

Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?" Gerandy's nostrils flared as he spotted Bella, making sense of the two men standing behind him.

      "You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?

If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?

If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?

Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?"

      Munn finished his statement and waited for Gerandy to answer.

      "I'll be contacting my lawyer." he growled as Brett cuffed him. His dark eyes glared holes into Bella's head, which was still tucked away into my chest. I stood us up and turned so she was out of his line of sight. His expression gave him away to everyone around us and the detectives that had him under custody.

      Brett took him out of the building while Munn explained what would happen.

"We can hold him for 48 hours without evidence, if there is anything that can be brought up within that time,  we can keep him a lot longer and strengthen our case in court.  For now we will obtain his phone records and check credit card purchases.  We also have a team down in Seattle checking things out. If there's any place you remember that would help determine the location to narrow our search,  please don't hesitate to let us know." Carlisle nodded and clapped Munn's shoulder,  walking them a few feet away to talk privately. I suspect he was telling him about the hotel and auto station.

Bella seemed to be calmed a bit despite the tight hold she had on me. I rubbed her shoulder blades lightly,  resting my head against hers while she got her breathing under control. I smiled when I realized she was breathing in sync with me,  or maybe I was breathing in sync with her...

     Dad came over several minutes later and hooked his arm around Mom,  kissing her head before looking at us. "Are you ready Bella?" he asked. She looked up at him,  frowning,  but nodded once.