↪ Choice | Star Wars

{Prompt; Based on a first liner from this website > http://writingexercises.co.uk/firstlinegenerator.php}

Mother!Reader x Daughter!OC (with mentions of others ~ Past!Kylo Ren x Reader)

'She chose to love him, her daughter chose to try.'

Amongst her mother's possessions, she found this letter. It was an old letter, yellowing at the edges and the ink had faded a little over time, but she could still see the text, sort of. It was the type of letter you'd think to find in some hidden treasure box, or locked away within a secret compartment of a cupboard or something.

It wasn't something you'd think to find stashed in her mother's handbag.

She knew she shouldn't be doing this, this was her mother's bag and if she found her sifting through it, she'll be disappointed, hurt. Nobody wants anybody to look through their personal belongings, at least not without permission. Elizabeth wouldn't, that's for sure. But her mother had been acting strange lately.

It wasn't unusual to find her with the handbag, it was like an extra limb. She brought it everywhere with her, and she often stuffed any odd thing in there; purse, keys, phone, sweets, deodorant. Anything that would fit in there, she'd shove in, saying how 'you never know when you may need it', and though Elizabeth never quite understood how you'd ever need a packet of sweets, she just nodded. This was her mother, she was used to her unusual antics. But then she started becoming...well, possessive over the bag.

It had started when the post had come a day ago; her mother, as always, shifted through the letters before work, placing bills upon bills on the table- until she stopped, just...froze, like someone had placed a spell on her. Her eyes had widened, her mouth tightened, and her body had tensed up.

She had just froze.

It was only when Elizabeth had called out to her, about to take the letter from her to simply put it down so it wouldn't get ruined, when her mother snapped out of it, tightening her grip over the letter before quickly stuffing it in her jacket pocket. She smiled down at the younger girl as if nothing had happened, muttered a quick goodbye and then left for work.

Nothing was said about the letter, even after she got home that night. Elizabeth had tried to get her to talk, to see what the matter was if nothing else, but her mother refused, either outright telling her to stop asking or changing the subject. After the fifth time, Elizabeth got tired of being told to stop, and so here she was, going through her mother's bag, feeling more like she was some undercover spy rather than a concerned daughter.

She pulled the letter closer, eyes shifting over to the doorway before she turned back, sure her mother wasn't going to come back halfway through reading the letter.

When she had taken the envelope out, she'd noticed that it was only loosely closed up, as much as the dried glue would allow, which meant it was easy to open without so much as a slight noise. The letter itself was a little crumpled like it had been held in a tight grip for a long while. Elizabeth wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

In fact, she was doing it herself, right now. Elizabeth quickly loosened her grip, not wanting any signs of her looking at the letter to be there. She knew she shouldn't have been doing this, this was wrong. This was her mother's personal things, withholding her mother's personal information, and there was probably a reason she didn't want Elizabeth to know. So she shouldn't be poking her nose in it...but...

The young girl shook her head. She needed to read it because she needed to find out what had her mother so...strange, (and if her curiosity called her to open it too, well she didn't have to admit that, did she?)