1:00 AM

"It's already one in the morning," Sicheng whispers to himself, as if dawning on the realization that yes, the storm is stopping.

Which means his time with Yuta would be coming to a close.

The Chinese boy blinks rapidly for a few seconds. Yuta had gone downstairs to get them so more food, leaving Sicheng alone with his thoughts and the hail crumbling against the windows outside.

What Yuta had told him left Sicheng speechless-- not knowing what to say or do, how to help, and how to (if he could) make him feel any better.

Losing a significant other couldn't be easy.

Yuta's description of the boy sounded so heavenly. The epitome of everything amazing, the dream boyfriend and husband. Sicheng could only imagine how in love they must have been--

Oh no.

Looking down at his bare legs, Sicheng gulps. What was he doing? Invading Yuta's personal space like this? When his heart clearly still belonged to someone else?

...Or was Yuta just using him as a quick distraction to an allusion of happiness?

"I'm back," The bartender's voice echoes through the room as he approaches Sicheng with a sickeningly sweet smile that makes Sicheng's stomach churn. "And I have ramen. We ate all the pasta, and I was a too tired to make anything else. Sorry." He laughs with light guilt, yet Sicheng doesn't respond. He continues to stare at the Japanese boy ahead of him.

"What's wrong?" Yuta asks nervously. He takes a step to approach the frail boy, who only backs away.

"Sicheng, you're scaring--"

"I'm sorry," Sicheng rushes out. "For doing all that s-stuff with you, I--" He pauses. "If I'm j-just a distraction from the boy you lost, I-I can leave--"

"What?" Yuta cuts in, arching an eyebrow. "No, you're not a distraction, Sicheng."

Yuta's voice and height overpowers him quickly. The bartender walks over, sets the food down, and sits so that he and Sicheng are only inches apart.

"B-but--"

"I'm not using you to forget him, I promise." Yuta's words sound so sincere, that Sicheng feels an ocean of regret tumble over his head due to the words. Smiling, Yuta welcomes Sicheng into his arms. The guitarist fights to hold back tears, mumbling into Yuta's chest.

"Are you s-sure? What am I here for, then?"

The bartender sighs. Stroking Sicheng's hair, he bends down at a distance so that his voice can directly reach Sicheng's ear, a murmur that makes Sicheng's body shiver.

"You're here because I like you and your company." He responds. "And I want to get to know you. I want to be with you. Okay?"

Face a flurry of red, Sicheng can only nod.

- - -

There was faint music playing from Yuta's phone, the dim light peering in from the shaky power source only adding to the mood within the bar.

Sicheng traced shapes into Yuta's chest, the other humming to the beat to what seemed to be a romantic melody. The thought made Sicheng internally laugh.

Yuta was such a sap.

To add to the feel, Yuta decorated the kitchen with wine bottles and flowers, making it more and more out of a romance novel.

"You really didn't have to do all of this for someone you barely know, Yuta."

The bartender hesitates briefly before answering. "...I want to help you realize that I'm really not using you. It's extra, like me."

Sicheng can't contain his giggles this time, covering his mouth to reduce the sound.

Yuta smiles down fondly at him, relishing in the cute sound and the expression that matches it.

The last time he'd seen Sicheng laugh like that...

Was years ago.

- - -

3 YEARS AGO

"Yuta!" Sicheng whined. "Pay attention to me!"

Finishing up the touches to his painting, Yuta turns and scoops his boyfriend into his arms. He smiles at the prominent pout lacing the boy's lips. "Okay, okay, I'm done now. What do you need me to do?"

"Just-- just pay attention to me!"

Yuta chuckles at the boy's behavior. He pushes Sicheng backwards onto the bed, tickling at his sides and relishing in the joyous laughs escaping his pretty pink lips.

He stops just to stare down at the angel below him, who's also breathlessly watching him, soft giggles still breathing out.

"I love you," Yuta manages to say, as he's too captivated in the ocean that is Sicheng's eyes. It's cheesy-- of course it is-- yet he has no idea what he did to deserve such a love.

Though when Sicheng beams back up at him, Yuta feels like maybe his words weren't lost in a cliche rom-com.

"I love you, too."

Because Sicheng...

Sicheng knows.

- - -

PRESENT TIME

Sicheng's voice lures him back into reality. The boy is staring worriedly at Yuta, hands fixed on his shoulders and looking to be on the verge of tears.

"Yuta? Can you hear me? Are you alright?"

Yuta shakes his thoughts away quickly, nodding. "Yeah-- yeah-- I'm fine, sorry."

"You weren't responding..."

"I know, I--" Yuta frowns. "I'm sorry. Just...zoned out, I guess."

Sicheng holds back the urge to ask him if he was thinking about his former lover. The thought makes something in Sicheng's stomach sink.

"Are you sure...?" He asks after a moment.

Yuta gives him a look. It's strangely bittersweet, laced with a thin layer of sadness, of longing and of want. Yet all he does is nod briefly, mouth curling upwards into a weak smile.

"Yeah," he mumbles.

"I'm sure."