15 || A PLAN?

Two weeks had passed since my unnerving encounter in Mario's closet. Mariana hadn't contacted me once. My subtle suggestions to Mario for another date at his family's home all got shoved aside. He was extremely busy and spent most of his time in Maine, preferring for us to spend quiet evenings at the palace. My hope of seeing Mariana again was slowly fading, I couldn't just fly out to Kitusburge and budge into his house. I was certain there was security cameras in the estate, not to mention the security personnel that had let us in during our last visit.

I hadn't told a soul of the closet encounter. I couldn't risk it, just for the slightest chance that Joe was alive. The thought that I had been duped was getting louder by the day. I couldn't just sit around waiting for her anymore, I had to do something. With that new resolve, I cancelled all meetings for the day and asked them to ready the chopper. I needed help and knew exactly where to get it.

Much to the displeasure of my security team, they had to work around the short span of time I'd given them, to ensure security for the journey to Kayodale. We drove into my uncles estate at the break of dawn. The old Butler at the door hadn't had time to collect his face from the floor at my surprise visit, before I was rushing up the curvy staircase.

"Your Highness," he called, catching up to me. "Am afraid the Marquess is still sleeping." He said glaring at my hand which now held my cousin's door handle.

"It's okay Marko, he's expecting me." I said spotting the most genuine smile I could.

Marko wasn't fooled however, his brows rose as he crossed his arms over his chest, a move I knew only too well. "Is that so?"

"Ok, you win. I really need to talk to him though."

"Can't it wait for the man to at least take a shower?"

"Uncle Mark," I drawled out my childhood nickname for the old man. "You know how I hate waking up early, and yet here I am, before 6am. I really need to talk to him." I sighed drooping my shoulders.

My approach clearly worked because Marko's countenance aged even further, as worry added a few more frown lines. "Alright your Highness, I'll inform the Duke of your arrival."

"Thank you Marko but would you give us an hour before doing that?" He nodded and turned to go start his day. I sighed feeling a little guilty for worrying the old man. However, knowing the amount of trouble we got into growing up, Marko had become the voice of authority while our parents were out, what he said went and I didn't have time to argue with him this morning. I pushed down the handle and sauntered into the dark room. Groping by the wall, I flicked on the switch and quickly moved to the lump on the king size bed.

*******

"Why on earth did it take you two weeks to say something?" Asked Gio who was now pacing his carpeted floor oblivious of his state of undress.

"I already told you, I couldn't risk it. If Joe is alive and out there, I cannot involve anyone else. I am now well aware of the fact that I don't have many people to trust. If it's true about Mario, how many people does he have on the inside? The staff members in the palace, the police force? I know full well that Papa was poisoned, he said so in his letter, yet the postmortem claimed the disease killed him. I mean couldn't they find the poison or something?"

"Niq, what are you saying? Someone was poisoning my uncle?" He stopped pacing.

"That's what the letter he wrote to me stated."

"Again I ask, why would you keep all these to yourself?"

"What would you have me do Gio? I don't know what's real anymore. All I know is that there are forces working to dethrone me, why? I have no clue. I didn't know what to do."

"Well you could have come to me sooner. That throne is our problem too, Niq."

"I could have... I thought I could handle everything myself but I clearly can't. So here I am and I need your help." I said wiping away a stray tear.

"Hey...hey, come here." He sat down next to me and putting an arm over my shoulder, pulled me in for a hug.

"Gio."

"Mmhhm?"

"You stink!" I said prying myself from his clutches.

"Oh, sorry. I'll take a quick shower then we can talk more." He gently pulled away.

"Thank you."

"Sure. You know I've got your back. I'm disappointed that you didn't call sooner but you are here now. I got you."

*****

"So this friend of yours, when will he be here?" I asked shoving a piece of French toast into my mouth. After Giovanni had cleaned up, he had asked for breakfast to be served in his private dining area.

"I have yet to call him cuz, but we can trust him. He's a retired marine. He always delivers on his assignments. First, we shall have him stake out Mario's country home and then he'll dig up all he can about your husband and that Mariana woman. If they have anything to do with Joe's disappearance, we will find it." Said Gio cupping his hand over mine on the table. "In the mean time, you will stay with us. I can't have you back in that palace until we clear Mario."

"I can't do that, even I know that drastically changing my schedule might cause alarm to whoever is watching out there."

"You mean like canceling today's schedule and showing up here unannounced?"

"Yeah like that, but this is easily explainable, however, moving from the palace and leaving my husband by himself will make no sense."

"I can't simply sit by and watch you go back there!"

A few minutes passed as I thought it through. "Then come with me!"

"What?"

"Yeah, you can come to stay with me, watch my back."

"That's not the worst idea..." He smiled. "Ok, after breakfast, we call that guy then you help me pack."

"Deal."