6 || AN UNNERVING LETTER

My beloved daughter,

I have recently come across some findings that should be kept secret, at least for now.

Two months ago I received a visit from a particular Asian doctor. He had been recommended by a mutual friend. He examined me and came up with a worrying conclusion. I am being poisoned!

He identified the poison as one without an antidote. He could only give me a mixed herb solution that only served to lengthen my fast dwindling life. Anyway, I had dismissed him at first but his crazy theory still had me worried. After considering recent happenings, I hired a private investigator. The least I could do before I leave you this seat is to identify the culprit. My investigator found something. He called me two weeks ago thoroughly shaken. He refused to give me the details of his worry over the phone. He, however, said that my enemy is closer than I think. He was to arrive the next day to give me his findings, he didn't. I haven't heard from him since. I asked the police to find him but up until now, he's still missing.

I decided to take matters into my own hands, my food now gets prepared as I watch, and the person who prepares it sits and eats it with me. I can tell you with certainty that however they are doing it, it's not through my meals.

Whoever this person is, clearly wants me out of the seat, there are six months till you are coronated. I believe they plan to use that space to kick you out. Hence the reason for my changes. I now believe that Joe's disappearance is also connected with this. He was simply an obstacle that was cleared. Whoever kidnapped him wanted you for a wife. Of course, Mario comes to mind as I write this but I believe you made the right choice with him. I happen to have a soft spot for your new husband given the close relationship I shared with his parents. They raised a fine young man and I believe I am leaving you in capable hands. As of now, I have ruled only you and your mother out as suspects, I leave Mario for you to judge, my gut tells me he's okay but I leave that decision to you.

Do not show this letter to your mother, she will only worry about you like she was worried about me this whole time. There is an enemy in our camp, please take every precaution. Sniff them out, I know you can. I found out about this deception too late but you have time. They will not catch you unawares.

PS: I don't want you to postpone your honeymoon, hence the reason I choose to write this down instead of a sit down with you. I love you my Diamonique.

Bye,

Papa.

I replayed the letter in my mind once more. After the lawyer had been dismissed, my mother requested us to stay and have lunch with her. During the meal, we had discussed on strategies of how to handle the council's backlash, that was sure to come, after relaying my fathers' changes to them. Later, we departed and I had gone back to my room where I read and reread my father's letter.

Saying I was shaken would be an understatement, I was terrified. Nora caught me trembling in a fetal position on my bed. She had run out and brought Mario who after dismissing her, climbed into bed and held me close. The safe feeling that he came with only intensified as I replayed my fathers words about him. I contemplated showing him the letter but finally decided against it. I would ask for his help when I needed it. After continually reassuring him that I was well, he finally left me alone and went to attend to his duties.

One of Nora's strengths was always knowing what would change my mood for the better, at any given time. She had called Ryan who had come over after his shift. He invited me to their home for one of Halima's home cooked meals. An evening with them served to lift my spirits. My father was wrong, Halima and Ryan were two more people he ought to have included in his list. They most certainly were not suspects.

After I left their home, I returned to the palace and knowing Mario would still be stuck in the office, I chose the moment to take a walk through the flower garden to my favorite spot in the palace. As I walked on the soft grass, a few garden lights came on, all around me reminding me of my ever-present security personnel. I had long requested they keep their presence a secret so I wouldn't start feeling as though I was in a cage in my own home. They always did a wonderful job of remaining in the shadows but would sometimes do something that reminded me of their presence. The garden lights kept lighting my way, once I reached the small gate, I pushed it open and the view of the beautiful moon reflecting on the ocean's surface had me desire to remain in the cover of darkness. "There is no need of turning on the gazebo lights," I said as the lights came on. They were turned off in an instance. I made my way to the chairs, slumped into one and cast my gaze into the vast ocean. The soothing breeze under the star-filled sky, giving a calming effect.

Feeble rattling at the far end of the garden caught my attention. I dismissed it as branches swaying in the breeze and continued gazing at the constellation. The rattling intensified, I lifted myself from the seat and slowly made my way to the noise. A sense of foreboding creeping through me. The knowledge that my guards were close by gave me the courage to proceed. The closer I got, the more the crippling fear flooded through me. I was about to pull aside the obstructing branch when the small gate swung open. I whirled around, and to my relief, Mario walked into the garden.

"There you are!" I've been looking everywhere for you." A silent gasp came from behind the bush, a few paces from me, followed by a rustling of branches as someone fled the scene. The noise had been heard by all because my guards immediately revealed themselves. They, accompanied by Mario were by my side instantaneously, guns were drawn. Mario draped a protective arm around me.

"What was that?" He asked.

"I think there was someone there." Those words were enough to push everyone into action. A whistle tore through the air and more guards filled the garden, Mario tightened his hold around me and led me towards the palace, accompanied by two guards.

********

Mario paced through the carpeted space of our shared lounge. "Someone was watching you!" He said for the umpteenth time.

"Would you calm down, you are making me nervous."

He came to a halt, "how are you so calm right now?"

"I have lived my whole life under the public's eye. Several people have tried getting too close to me, hence my around the clock security. I am used to being watched, it was probably a local who managed to sneak their way into the palace, then maybe got lost in the garden. It has happened before you know." I said trying to muster my most dismissive tone. He stared into my eyes as if reading the real fear that lurked behind.

"Are you sure?" He crouched in front of me. "You are okay?"

"Certain besides, the guards will catch whomever it was."

"Okay, but from now on, you walk with security at all times."

"I already do, you just don't notice them, I prefer it that way, it gives me a sense of freedom."

He sighed in resignation. "As you wish amore."