02. 𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲𝘀, 𝘁𝗼𝗼

Start from the beginning

     The Maximoffs continued their journey back home under the gloomy sky above them as if a rainstorm was a possibility. The clouds were orange and red, thick with a strong smell of something burning. The rain wasn't the issue that Sokovia has to deal with, it's the thing behind the reasoning for the clouds. Thunderous explosions would cackle into the sky either in daytime or night time, and it didn't matter what time of day it was. Nothing stopped the rumbling noises from afar. But as Iryna would say, they were merely thunder from the occasional rain from outside the city. It would be nothing but the storm that interrupts the beautiful sky with dark and ugly clouds, casting a raining spell over Sokovia and preventing the people from the bright sun.

     "Wanda?" Eszter glances up until she was looking at the side of Wanda's face but looks away by the time her sister looked down. "Why does the ground shake when it thunders?"

     There wasn't a quick enough response that Wanda could've possibly given Eszter, for one, Wanda wasn't sure why the ground shook with each thunderous boom; at first, the girl supposed that the Earth would tremble from the powerful roar from the sky, how it would feel like an earthquake. Wanda never understood the idea of thunder being powerful enough to quake the ground, but she knew it wasn't normal. However, Iryna and Oleg would say that it was lightning destructively striking the ground, leaving a mark in its wake and explode with the thunder. Wanda has never seen it happen, but from the sound of it, the girl would rather not be there to witness it.

     Wanda furrows her brows gently, forming frown lines across her forehead. "I don't know," she tries to answer. "Mama would say that when the lightning would hit the ground, it would sound loud! Like . . . like, a huge explosion!"

     Eszter's eyes widen. "Does it?"

     Pietro hums. "We have never seen such a thing," he then turns his head, casting a quick gaze to Wanda. "Have you?"

     "No, but that's what Mama says."

     "Something was burning again," Eszter mumbles beneath her breath, but they were still heard.

     Neither of the twins responded to that because they had, too. Last night, they had heard the thunders and the flash of light somewhere in the distance. It was like it was getting closer to them, but Mama and Papa weren't afraid, so there was nothing to be worried about.

     Eszter shortly found interest in her shoes-pink raggedy shoes that once used to be owned by Wanda, but she had grown out of the pair, which were passed down to Eszter. As they carried on walking, Eszter suddenly started to jump up and over the cracks as she avoids touching them. Gripping her hand tightly in Wanda's grip, Eszter plays her short game of hopscotch, pretending that there were squares in front of her. Shortly growing tired of jumping, Eszter huffs as she raises her gaze from the ground, the little girl examines her surroundings-another market that often happens here on their way back home. But when Eszter looks to the other side of Wanda, the little girl frowns at Pietro's disappearance. Quickly and a little panicked, Eszter looks around to search for her brother, Eszter sighs softly in relief once she found him walking a little behind her and Wanda.

     Hand still intertwined with Wanda's, Eszter continues to peek over her shoulder as she stares at Pietro rather thoughtfully; Eszter watches as Pietro walks with a slouch to his shoulders, hanging them low in almost defeat. An evident frown curls on his lips until he's pouting deeply, Pietro's brows burrows. The backpack strap hangs loosely on Pietro's shoulder with one hand gripping the strap.

     "Is he okay?" Eszter wonders out loud.

     Wanda hums questionably as she looks at Eszter briefly before glancing back, spotting Pietro and his solemn look by the pout that stayed on his face. "I'm not sure," Wanda furrows her brows, curious just as Eszter. As Wanda slows her pace, Eszter follows along until they were beside their brother. "Pietro?" Wanda calls with a soft voice, gentle and careful as she eyes the boy almost cautiously.