Chapter Nine: Phoebe Goes Bad

Start from the beginning

       "Wait.. dead?" Phoebe gulps.

       "Yes and I know you'll have a lot of questions, but I only have limited time with you. I need you to understand. I am here to tell you to not trust anything you're told. Question it as hard as that may be. Our world is corrupt, Phoebe, and you're the one destined to fix it."

        Phoebe bursts upright, a sudden strain against her throat held her back from screaming. Her world was collapsing. When she decided to be a Pretty, she expected all of life to be fun and games. This was not what she had expected. All the excitement and joy of the day before left her. She is filled with disgust at letting herself be kidnapped. Disgust at her crappy new life. Disgust at the red-haired boy for making her life a living hell.

       Phoebe tugs at the bulky metal collar tightly hugging her throat. What had they done to her?

      Phoebe looks at the room she is in. It's bright sky blue wall calms her and the green carpet makes her feel as if she is outside and safe from all the dangers. Free from all the pressure that weighed on her shoulders. It hit Phoebe.

Our world's corrupt, Phoebe, and you're the one destined to fix it. Phoebe's heart jolts at the thought.

How could I, of all people, save the world? thought Phoebe. Phoebe rolls over on her side. She wannts to cry, but knew it wasn't worth it. The worse thing is the unfamiliar room she lay in. she doesn't know where she is. Why she's here, or why anything as bad as this is happening to her. Why her? Why?

Because of fate, Phoebe, a masculine voice whispers into her thoughts. Phoebe twitches at the sudden noise inside her head.

"What?" Phoebe says, clutching her head between her hands.

"Phoebe Gliniwinkle?" a feminine voice asks.

"No I am Jocelynn McCulleck. Who is Phoebe?" Phoebe lies remembering her father's warning.

The voice gasps and hurries out of the room. Phoebe hears a door lock after the footsteps of the person fades. Phoebe didn't catch a glimpse at the anonymous person, sadly.

Phoebe hears voices outside her door.

"It isn't Phoebe Gliniwinkle. You really screwed up this time, Captain. You know President Bridges will not be pleased. You wasted his time and money," the same feminine voice naggs.

"You believe I am wrong? I'm never wrong, Amy. I know it's her. I can just tell," a man says sounding a lot like the red-haired boy.

"She said her name was Jocelynn McCulleck. Face it, Captain, you got it wrong and you're gonna pay."

The man she calls Captain sighs, then cusses under his breath. She hears footsteps walk away.

Phoebe's instincts kick in. She tears the IV from her wrist and unwraps the restraints around her waist. Phoebe only knows once thing: She has to get out of here. Surely THIS would be mission Impossible.

She gets up, noticing the breeze that crawled up her backside. She tears off the tissue dress and grabs an army uniform on the island counter. She felt bare without Tess, almost like she was naked. Phoebe peeks past the door. Taking one last glance at her uniform, she pulls her hair into a bun. She puts shades over her eyes and smears off her lip gloss. She didn't want to, but she had to do it.

         Phoebe had heard of an old tale of a person named James Bond. After centureies and centuries the character is still known. It's amazing. James Bond would be proud of her.

       Phoebe walks confidently out of the room and does what James would call "hiding in plain sight". She strode down corridors of old 21st century buildings. Many people nod in her direction as a sign of respect and many saluted her. She looks down at her uniform and stares at the rank showing.

Captain.

Now it makes sense they all never gave Phoebe a second glance. Phoebe mindlessly roams through the large building, finally making her way to two very large wooden doors. a small slip of hair escapes from the hold of Phoebe's cap without her noticing.

Phoebe raps the door until in moves on its hinges. Phoebe stares breathlessly at the main corridor in front of her.

She watches people in lab coats walk around on a mission, while some of them worked on bodies. Bodies of intimidating Pretties, except these Pretties looked different. Phoebe tries to see what may be off and notices their strange tattoos. Their tattoos give the illusion that they're moving. A female's naked body stirs as one scientist digs a scalpel into her skin.

          A sudden breeze makes Phoebe stop dead in her tracks.

        "Hello, Jocelynn. I am President Bridges. Welcome to the Rogues Head Quarters."

       A blast of force at the center of her neck knocks Phoebe down into yet another unconscious state.

            Phoebe wakes up on a platform and thinks back to the last time she had been there. It was to become a Pretty. She regrets that discission. Ever since she had become Pretty,  too much had happened to her. Everything had been fine as a normal person. Suddenly, she realized there is someone standing over her. She tries to sit up, but is held back by restraints.

          "What? Why? Why the restraints? Are you going to hurt me?" Phoebe says while her lower lip quivers.

          The man in large goggles stares down at her and says, "If the restraints weren't on you, it would be the other way around. You would hurt us."