Chapter Ten: Digging Deeper

Phoebe’s eyes widen. She knew why he just said she would hurt them. She’d heard of it before, but thought it was just a child’s tale. People said there was no surgery like that in the world! No surgery to turn you into a killing machine! Now she knows it wasn’t just some fairytale.

“You turned me into a Special, haven’t you?” Phoebe gulps.

“Technically I didn’t, but Dr. Rosenhough did. Training will start for you tomorrow. Try getting used to that body first, kid. It’s a whole different kind of mechanics,” the man says. His sharp black eyesenlarged by his goggles.

“Hiw did the Rebels get all these resources? I thought they were bankrupt…” Phoebe says.

“You’re pretty smart for a Pretty. Then again, I guess General Smith used the pills on you. You know, when he shot you?” the guy says leaning back in his office chair.

“The pills? You mean the red haired guy shot me with… a pill?” Phoebe says, “Why?”

“Well, it’s complicated, Miss McCulleck. You should catch up on rest because it may be the last night you get it,” the man takes off his goggles then starts to type on his hollogram computer.

“What do you mean? Am I going to die?!” Phoebe strives to get out of her restraints.

“No, Miss McCulleck. Specials’ bodies are genetically engineered to not need as much as normal humans. We need to eat food at least once a day, you need to eat food at least once a week. It goes the same with every other need you have. Sleep, fun, thirst, food, and even having to go to the bathroom. You are basically immortal, too. You cannot be killed, your reflexes won’t allow it.

“The only thing that has the ability to hold you back is horse hair. That’s exactly what your restraints are made of. Only I know that is the Specials’ weakness. Specials are also faster, stronger and more cruel than humans. Your first night of training may kill someone, but it’s nothing new. Oh and also don’t try to leave or get away. Those collars on your necks allow us to track or taze you. Rebel against us and you die. Welcome to the Rebellion,” the man adds.

“I never said I wanted to be in the Rebellion!” Phoebe says.

“No one ever did, but if you value your life than stay with us. I’m more afraid of Dustin than the Pretty government,” the man says, walking away from the room. When the door closes behind him darkness wraps around Phoebe.

Tears fall from her eyes and drop to the ground as silently as they came. Phoebe finally felt weak. She finally felt vincible. She never realized the world outside of her protected world. She never knew something bad could happen to her.

“Tyler! TYLER! Huh-HELP! Ugh!” a sudden shock from her collar steals her voice.

Voices outside her door make Phoebe stop struggling.

“Who’s Tyler? Is she talking about that famous guy, Tyler Travis? Dude does she even know him?” a young, masculine voice asks.

“Well she was at his party when I first saw her. I still can’t believe that the General mixed her up with Phoebe Gliniwinkle. You know he thought he loved her?” another voice says as a matter of factly.

“Yeah, yeah. He said it was love at first sight, whatever. I wonder if the General will try to look for her again… Anyways, we better give Jocelynn the pill again. Let’s go,” the younger sounding guy says.

The door opens letting a sliver of light into the room. One tall, buff figure has a glass in his hand, the other figure has his fist closed around an unknown object.

“What is that?” Phoebe breathily says.

“It’s a pill to clear your mind, or cleanse it,” the smaller guy says holding out his fist.

“But my mind’s pure! I don’t think dirty thoughts, promise!” Phoebe thrashes about against the horse hair holding her back.

The buff figure gives a chuckle, “That’s not what we mean. When you had your Pretty surgery the government did something to your mind.”

“What?” Phoebe asks increduliously.

“Did you ever wonder why the government funded the surgery, why everything a Pretty gets is free? You do know that human’s nature is to do something for someone else that leads to personal gain?” the younger voice asks inquisitively.

“Well… no?” Phoebe says confused.

“Well they fund for it because when they do the surgery they put a special microchip in your brain that doesn’t allow you to say no to the government. So basically the government could do whatever they wanted without you Pretties knowing. This is the whole reason why we rebel, but lately, people have been wanting to rebel from the rebellion.”

Suddenly the buff figure starts shuddering. He coughs and some type of liquid sprays Phoebe's face. The younger boy yells out.

"What happened?!" Phoebe yells.

"We've said too much!" the younger voice yells and runs out of the room, dragging the buff figure behind him.

What was THAT about?!