Chapter 14 *Rewritten*

A/N - I changed a few things here and there.

Madison looked through her closet looking for a dress to wear.

Steve had left to go his own apartment about an hour ago.

When she couldn't find anything, she got an idea. Madison made her way into her father's closet and pulled out a trunk of her mother's things. She had found it years ago, but didn't say anything.

It held Piper's weapons, the pictures of her and her father, along with some of her clothing. On the top of the pile sat a pale blue dress.

Madison grabbed it and tried it on.

It fit her perfectly.

Madison quickly curled her hair and left the apartment.

Happy Hogan was waiting for her. "After you Miss Barton", he said. He opened the door for her and she got in.

Steve was already in the limo. "You look...amazing", Steve told her.

Madison pecked his lips and then looked at what he was wearing. She smiled and said, "I always did like a man in uniform".

Steve had managed to find his World War II uniform and decided to wear it. "Where did you manage to find a dress like that?" Steve asked her.

"It was my mother's actually", she told him, playing with the hem.

The ride to Stark Tower was silent. When they pulled up to the Tower, there were tons of flashes going off.

Of course Stark announced the gala to the whole world.

Steve looked nervous, so Madison took his hand in hers.

"It'll be okay", she told him.

He looked over at her and pecked his lips in thanks.

Happy opened the door and the two climbed out.

The paparazzi went crazy.

Madison and Steve walked into the tower, trying not to pay attention to anyone.

They went up the elevator to the ballroom where Stark was holding the gala and stepped out.

Clint fidgeted with his bow-tie.

"Stop messing with it", Natasha told him. She looked over and quietly muttered something in Russian.

"Tasha?" Clint asked looking at her.

She put her hand on his jaw and turned his head.

Clint gasped.

It was like seeing a ghost.

Madison stood there in her mother's dress.

Clint quickly fought his way through the crowd and walked up to Steve and Madison. "May I have this dance?" Clint asked his daughter.

She kissed Steve on the cheek and let her father lead her onto the dance floor.

As they swayed to the slow song, Clint looked at Madison. "You look just like your mother".

This brought Madison to tears. "I saw her", Madison told him.

They stopped swaying.

"What?"

"While I was in my coma, I saw her. I can see why you fell in love with her. She was so beautiful".

"Just like you, Baby Bird. You know, I proposed to her in this dress".

"Daddy stop".

"I'm sorry Madison. For everything. I know your childhood wasn't ideal..."

"My childhood wasn't normal, but you and Natasha did the best you could. Why are you saying all this now?"

"Because I'm afraid of losing you. You're my Baby Bird".

"You'll never lose me. But if I become a field agent, it'll always be a possibility".

"It's not death I'm afraid of losing you to. I knew you were going to fall in love eventually. I just didn't think it would be this soon".

Madison set her head on her father's chest. "You'll always be the most important man in my life", she told him and Clint smiled, pressing a kiss to her hair.

The song ended and Clint stepped back from her. He started walking back over to Natasha, when Steve swept Madison up into his arms.

Madison laughed. "That was graceful", Madison teased, putting her arms around his neck.

"I try", he said shrugging.

Madison shook her head and curled up into his chest as they danced.

"So does this count as our date?" Steve asked her.

"Take me out for ice cream later and it sure is".

Steve smiled. "Dancing, dinner, and then ice cream. Got it".

Madison looked over at Pepper and Tony and her father and Natasha.

They all looked so happy.

She was happy with Steve, but she couldn't help thinking how long this relationship would actually last.