Episode twenty four. Puddle.

‘How are you?’ I examine Claire’s sexy new jeans after I’ve made myself comfortable on the cold backseat of a cab.

It’s only 10 p.m. but we couldn’t wait to see each other and decided to meet up before hitting the Manhattan club scene.

‘Denis and I are moving in together,’ she proudly announces.

‘Really?’

‘Yes. It’s so soon. Don’t you think?’ She looks at me like I should know how soon is soon.

‘I don’t know. How long has it been?’

‘Almost five months.’ She makes it sound more like five days.

‘Well, it’s not that soon,’ I say optimistically, knowing that no guy has ever lasted longer than a couple of parties with Claire.

‘Really? But this is New York City and I kind of like my freedom,’ she bites her lip.

‘Then don’t get rid of your apartment. You could sublet it,’ I suggest.

‘No, can’t do. My lease is up,’ she crosses her arms over her chest sulkily.

‘Doesn’t look like you,’ I can’t help shaking my head with suspicion.

‘I know,’ she stares out the window. ‘Look, it might snow tonight.’

‘Claire, you OK?’

‘Yeah, maybe we should go out just the two of us,’ she suddenly looks overly excited. ‘I’m sure Sofia wouldn’t even notice.’

‘OK, but can we get into places without her connections?’

‘Of course. Eli, have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?’ she rolls her eyes at me.

‘Yes, I have. Many, many, many times,’ I see my guilty smile in the driver’s rear mirror.

‘I’ll take you to places your cute face has never seen. Have you been to Puddle yet?’ she sits up eagerly.

‘There’s a club called Puddle?’

What is it with these funny club names in Manhattan?

‘Yup, and I know some security guys there. We won’t have to stand in line and embarrass ourselves.’

‘Excellent!’

‘It’s right off Park and 33rd.’ Claire explains to the driver.

‘Really?’ I look at her, bewildered. ‘Doesn’t seem much of a party corner.’

‘It’s Puddle,’ she keeps smiling at me, ‘trust me. I’ve only been there once. But it’s the best.’

Sounds more like a dump to me.

We walk right up to the entrance and this time Claire does the magical hand wave and kissing the security guy on the cheek thing. And we’re in.

First Andy, now Claire.

I must try this some time.

So 007.

We enter the club and I finally get the whole puddle thing – the entire club is designed to look like a giant puddle (figuratively speaking). As we pass the coat check and Claire stays behind trying to decide if she should part with her purse or not, I take in a whole new Manhattan reality. Whoever came up with this, was a club-genius.

I’m facing a room below me that stretches to all directions underneath the club. On both sides there are two long bars with many hot pink and yellow lights that make it possible to see only the liquor bottles. I can’t even imagine bartenders seeing the bills when people pay. Maybe this is one of those no change provided places. Or maybe all drinks cost the same.