A World Divided; Chapter 3

I sat next to Steve, my head on his shoulder, as we both read over the Accords. My head was throbbing more than ever, and whatever craziness I had earlier was gone, and I was taking in all of what the Accords was offering. Nat was on my left, Vision and Wanda sitting across from us. Dad was relaxing on an armchair, holding his hand to his face as we listened to Rhodey and Sam bicker behind us.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have," Rhodey said in exasperation, pointing to Sam's chest.

"So let's say we agree to this thing," Sam countered irritably. "How long is it before they lock us up and name us a bunch of common criminals?"

"One hundred and seventeen countries want to sign this!" Rhodey cried. "And you're like, 'No, it's cool.'"

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam snapped.

"I have an equation," Vision interrupted calmly. I turned my head and stared at him in surprise.

"Oh this will clear it up," Sam said sarcastically, and I lifted my throbbing head and glared at him.

"Sam, just shut up," I said angrily, before returning a little calmer, "please." I set my head back on Steve's shoulder and closed my eyes in pain. I needed a few pain-relievers. "Go on, Vision."

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of noted enhanced persons has grown exponentially," Vision said, glancing at Wanda and I. "And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a great rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked, his eyes slightly narrowed at the android. I rubbed his arm reassuringly, staring at Vision as well.

"I'm saying there may be a causality," Vision explained. I gulped and closed my eyes again, using my free hand to rub my right temple. "Our very strength invites challenge, challenge incites conflict. Conflict... breeds catastrophe." Vision swallowed before continuing. "Oversight, and oversight is not an idea that could be dismissed out-of-hand."

"Boom," Rhodey chimed, looking at Sam. I sighed and stared at my dad, who was sneaking glances at me.

"Dad?" I said, struggling to sit up.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Tony," Natasha joined in. "You're being uncharacteristically non-hyper verbal." I nodded in agreement.

"That's because he's already made up his mind," Steve said flatly. I looked down at my hands, which I noticed were shaking slightly and were pale. What was going on with me? My team? A bottle of pain meds landed in my lap, and I looked up to see my father by the kitchen, grabbing a mug.

"Boy, you know me so well," he said sarcastically as I swallowed two pills down, and the pain slightly decreased. "Actually, I'm nursing my electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. Just pain... and discomfort." Dad turned to us and pointed at the sink. "Who put coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

"Dad, please," I muttered quietly. The throb had decreased, but I could feel it waiting to return. My father pulled up a hologram of a young man.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way," he said with fake carelessness, and continued pouring out his coffee. "He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig, an Intel plan for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world, maybe be of service"