Chapter 2: Frustration

Start from the beginning

"I think I'm going to turn in early," I announce as I fake yawn and stretch my arms.

"It's 6 o'clock," Bree gives me a weird look.

"Yeah, that homework wore me out."

"Seriously?" Leo looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Yes, is that a problem?" Leo puts his hands up in defense. "That's what I thought."

I stand up, push in my chair, and head toward the elevator. The sound of footsteps behind me catches my attention. I whirl around, and see Mr. Davenport following me.

"Is there something you need?" I ask.

"No, no, I was just heading to the lab too."

"Um, okay." Great, now if I glitch, he'll see. We both enter the elevator and don't speak the whole way to the lab.

"I'm just going to go in my capsule," I awkwardly say as I exit the elevator. Mr. Davenport just nods, and I get into my capsule.

I close my eyes, but find it hard to fall asleep at first. But after about ten minutes, I fall into a dreamless sleep.

~

Adam's POV:

I wake up to the sound of Mr. Davenport knocking on my capsule.

"Ugh, why do we have to get up so early?" I complain as I step out of my capsule.

"It's 10 o'clock, Bree and Chase are already up and have eaten breakfast." He explains, giving me a weird look.

"Exactly," I yawn and start heading back into my capsule. "Wake me when it's dinner."

"Adam," Mr. Davenport pulls me out. "I need you to go eat something, then come and change into something nice."

"Why?" I throw my head back and groan.

"Because we are all going to a gala to raise money for Davenport Industries, and you need to be on your best behavior."

"You get what you get." I shrug, and in the direction of the elevator.

"Adam, you need to take this seriously, there's a lot on the line."

"Like what?"

"My company. If we don't raise enough money, business will have to slow down."

"So?" I ask as Mr. Davenport enters the elevator next to me.

"I will lose money, and that means less things for Adam."

"Oh..."

"Plus, I'm taking a big risk letting you three come. If one of you accidentally uses your bionics, you could be exposed to a lot of very important people. Who also can take you three away."

"Huh?"

"No bionics."

"Oh..." The elevator dings and opens in front of us.

"Now go eat, and be ready in a half an hour." Mr. Davenport gives me a stern look, before heading to who knows where.

I search the cabinets for something to eat, and find nothing. I then look in the fridge, which has my favorite snack, pudding. I pull out two, and grab a spoon. No one eats with me, and I feel lonely.

After I finish the second pudding, I realize that I should be getting ready.

The elevator ride feels quicker than usual, and it opens up to reveal Mr. Davenport and Chase arguing over something.