human.

illuminati!yukio okumura

          A brisk breeze nipped at your skin, and you shifted back and forth on the balls of your feet to keep some sort of motion going.  Yukio had been staring at the entrance to his dorm for what seemed like an eternity until you said something.

            "You wanted to talk to me about something, Yukio?"

            The Exorcist jumped a little before shifting his weight to look at you.  He smiled apologetically while scratching the back of his head.  "Oh, sorry I did."  His gentle eyes began staring through you again.

            "So," you coaxed, sauntering over to Yukio.  "What is it you wanted to talk to me about... and so late at night too?"

            You settled your hands around the Exorcist's neck, and he flinched visibly, pulling away from the contact.  This caused your eyebrows to crinkle together, and a deep-set frown formed on your visage.  Something was definitely different.

            You stepped away from him with a look of concern.  "What's wrong?" you asked quietly.

            "Nothing's wrong," he answered a little too sharply, and his eyebrows knitted together in frustration.  Why couldn't he just tell you?

            Because it will break her heart.

            But... he didn't have any other choice.  He had to know the truth!

            "Something's obviously bothering you," you hummed, breaking through his silent musings.  "So what is-"

            Yukio just decided to get it over with.  Taking in a sharp breath, he spoke:

            "I'm leaving, (Name)..."

            All was silent except for the gust of air that breezed its way through the campus, and Yukio just watched as you processed his words.

            He was... leaving?  What did that mean exactly?  To where was he going and...

            Why

            Why was he leaving his brother?

            Why was he leaving you?

            You bit down lightly on your lower lip, attempting to remain composed in front of your boyfriend.  Though, you could feel the tears ready to escape your eyes.

            You stared Yukio in the face again, blinking just a little.  "Where are you going?" you managed to ask, your breath fogging up in the chilly air.

            The Exorcist dropped his turquoise gaze, unable to look at you.  "I plan on finding the Illuminati," he answered simply.

            Gritting your teeth, you clicked your tongue in disbelief.  "Tell me the true reason, Yukio."

            The Exorcist's raised his eyes from his feet.  "(Name)," he began softly, "that is the true reason."

            Tears leaked from the corners of your eyes.  "The I-Illuminati," you questioned shakily.  "Why would you join them?"

            Yukio answered without hesitation.  "Because they can give me the answers I deserve."  

            The tears bubbled over your lashes, and you clenched your fists, nails biting into your palms.  "But h-how can you trust them?"

            Yukio looked pointedly to his left, snoring, "It's the same amount of trust that I get from the superiors here, but Lucifer-" he stumbled on his words as he spoke the Demon King's name.

            Your eyes widened.  Yukio had met Lucifer!?  What had that demon said to him?  No wonder he was being so distant with you.

            "You met Lucifer?" you whispered a little bit shocked.  "But how can you trust him?"

            "I already told you, I probably can trust him just about as much as I trust Sir Pheles, but... I can't stay here, (Name).  I can't."

            You rubbed the backs of your hands across your cheeks.  "Then," you uttered.  "At least tell me why you are leaving everything you care about for the Illuminati."

            The Exorcist flinched before looking at you again.  He couldn't be sure if you were trying to guilt trip him or if you were just speaking without thinking too much about what you were saying.  He shook his head, refocusing himself.  That didn't matter; he was going to leave anyway.

            "I'm... not really human anymore, (Name)."  He sneered.  "Who am I kidding?  I never was human."

            "But Rin was the only one to inherit Satan's-"

            "Satan's flame, I know."  Yukio sighed.  "But my power has always been there, buried deep... In a place I hadn't been able to even touch until several months ago."  He chuckled.  "The funny thing is, I have no way of knowing if my Father knew about the dormant power or not.  He kept waiting to share information.

            Sir Pheles isn't willing to be truthfully with me about anything!  I can't trust him, and neither can you."  His eyes darkened.  "Lucifer knows the truth about Nii-san and I's birth.  That is something I have to know!"

            It would answer so many questions.

            His desire for knowledge was a great fault, but it was also something that drove him...

            Along with his desire to become stronger...

            To protect the people he cared about.

            Yukio exhaled a deep breath while closing his eyes.  "That's why I'm leaving for the Illuminati, (Name).  For answers, truth."

            The Exorcist stepped closer to you, taking your hand.  He rested his forehead against your own with a quivering breath.  "Good-bye, (Name)."

            He slowly slipped from your embrace.  "Good-bye, Yukio," you whispered.