† Chp. XXII †

Start from the beginning

Sorry little boy, I'm not a cougar.

"What is worrying you, Eretria?" Eowyn's soft voice questions as she steps towards me. "I have never seen your horn quite so quiet before."

Smirking, I look up to the blondey, my body leaning against the pillar as my arms remain folded.

"Many things, Chook. One being the fact that Theoden hasn't lost his old man attitude."

"Oh, bless him. If anything, it has gotten worse." Eowyn renounces, and we both break into a chuckle as the king stands oblivious to our remarks, already burried into a deep conversation with Aragorn.

Although, the atmosphere starts to gain in weight as our laughs die down, and Eowyn asks a question in which I have been hoping to avoid.

"Eretria, what happened?"

Remaining silent, I glue my eyes to the ground, attempting to pretend my ears have suddenly fallen off.

"You know what I speak of, what happened in that kingdom?" Eowyn pauses, yet continues as I fail to answer. "I thought it would be the last time I would see you. Eomer said there was nothing he could do-"

"He was right, there was nothing he could do. Let's leave it at that." I cut in, bringing my gaze to meet hers.

Maybe that is true, but maybe it isn't. I guess you guys will figure it out, hey? As long as Eowyn believes that her brother is a noble hero who will do anything to protect his friends, even if that is a lie and he is a total coward. Yep, I should probably stop talking because now you guys are certain that he is the latter.

Once again, the little boy turns his head, and my mood is too rotten to let it slide for the six-hundred and oneth time.

"Hey kid, is there something on my face or are you just insanely in love with me? I hope it's not the latter, because I have an unofficial elven boyfriend who would kill for my hand in marriage."

His eyes widen, before he hesitates speaking, then finally stutters out a question.

"A-are you R-Robin Hood?"

Raising an eyebrow, I widen my arms to showcase my awesome body.

"The one and only." I reply with a grin, and the boy's face lights up in excitment.

"M-my mother was really sick, which meant she couldn't work and we were starving. B-but you brought as a bag of coins which fed us for a whole month!" He remarks, and for the first time in awhile, I am completely awestruck.

His sister gasps as she spins around in her chair, stumbling off and wrapping her small arms around my waist.

My head raises in suprise as I meet the eyes of Aragron, then Legolas, and then come to the realisation that the whole hall has been alerted of the commotion. Not that there's many people in here anyway.

Aragorn raises his eyebrows in wonder, and a grin spreads over Legolas' face, but I just narrow my eyes at the two before kneeling down to match the height of the little girl.

Thankfully, everyone goes back to their conversations as I am now hidden behind the table, and I rest my palm on the girl's shoulder as her brother observes from his seat, his eyes wide in surprise.

"It's called the butterfly effect." I utter, and she lets out a small gasp as her bright eyes take in each word that leaves my mouth. "I have done something good, now it's your turn. Do something good for others, and it will spread, like a butterfly spreads its wings."

Hey, don't judge, I'm not great when it comes to little children and inspirational speeches. At least I tried.

The little girl nods rapidly, and I grin, patting her shoulder. However, she brings me into another hug, and although it goes against my personal dignity, I wrap my arm around her little body.