Yogyata

YOGYATA
( WORTHINESS )

The royal hall was decorated in shades of red as it was the auspicious assigned day for the coronation and oath taking ceremony for the Emperor of Aaranya.

The wind was filled with gusts of disappointment, revolt and gossip. The people were upset that their favourite prince, Arnav was not going to be coronated as the Emperor. Everyone loved him dearly and knew that he deserved the crown. It was not that they thought that Shyam was incapable, it was just that they trusted Arnav more.

On the other hand, Mayuri was ecstatic beyond limits. Her son was to be coronated without any issues and she shall be the Royal queen mother. She shall execute all her plans through him.

When Arnav himself has let Shyam take up the throne, how shall that puny little wife of his oppose this coronation?
She smirked.

****************

Everybody assembled in the main hall where the Yagya for the crowning ceremony was about to start. Shyam's attempt to royally ascend the steps to throne was disturbedby the screams of a few revolting youths.

"Anyaay! Anyaay!"
(Injustice! Injustice!)

Mayuri rose from her seat, angry at this outburst of the crowd.

"What happened? Why are these commoners here? They are insulting the holy yagna!"

Soldiers blocked the youths' way. One of them started screaming.

"The throne was promised to Yuvraj Arnav by our good emperor. Now that he has passed away, we expect the nobility to at least fulfil his wish."

" According to the holy books, the elder prince gets the throne. You can't play with the shastras." the holy priest stood up angrily.

" But sir it is also written that the more worthy prince deserves the throne." Anjali opposed the prince.

"Anjali! Stay in your limits! You are supporting your step brother instead of your own? Shame on you!" Shyam angrily grit her teeth.

"No, I am only stating the truth. I do not intend to say that you are an undeserving candidate to the throne. Our father had decided to hand over the reins of the empire to Arnav because he had shown that he can protect and nurture the kingdom by his deeds and words."

Shyaam turned towards her and angrily said " Who are you to judge my capacities ? Why do you think so high of yourself? You are just a mere girl! "

Vikram, Anjali 's husband rose from his seat. " Yuvraj Shyam, I think you are forgetting that she is my wife, the Empress of Raigad and the only cause for the support we offer your kingdom."

Arnav rose up from his seat seeing the heated argument. He knew Vikram's support was essential for the kingdom right now since Aryamann's death had weakened the stability of the kingdom.

" I request everyone present to please calm themselves. Today is a holy day, please don't create a ruckus now. Didi, let the yagya go on peacefully.

My dear subjects, I do not have any objection if my elder brother ascends the throne. So please let this rituals go on peacefully."

The people cried out "No Yuvraj, we don't accept this!"

An old minister came forward and suggested an idea.

" Sir, I believe that if the people of the kingdom are not convinced with our decision. In this case, we must hold a competition in order to convince them."

"Yes surely! I shall show all of you that I am worthy of being the emperor. Accept the challenge, Arnav." said Shyam in full spirit.

"If the crowd insists, yes I accept the challenge!" exclaimed Arnav.

Tarini smiled ecstatically and smirked to herself. My prayers have been heard! I have complete confidence on him; I am sure he shall emerge victorious!

Mayuri mentally facepalmed. My foolish son has forgotten that he only looks gigantic, he is no match to that lad in strength! How will he fight against Arnav? I need to stop this competition!

"But son what is the need of the compete..."

"No! It is about my ego now! " said Shyam.

The crowd cheered and the competition was announced to be held the next day.

Arnav mentally patted himself.

Great! Shyam has invited trouble on his own. Father, give me strength so that I am able to show my worth. It is not about the crown, the throne or the empire, it is about my motherland! I can't let it go in wrong hands Shyaam and his mother.

He sadly pondered about what he saw in the palace on the day of his marriage.

"Maa! I want to be the emperor! Why does father always do this ? Why Arnav and not me? I am the elder one I should get the throne!"

"Your father was always partial, my son...first to me and now to you."

"You? How was he partial to you?" Shyam looked surprisedly towards his mother.

"He wanted to make Sunayana the empress although I was his first wife. I had always supported every decision that he made yet I had to face this? He never loved me but being the Empress was my right! I snatched my right from her, her fate was in my hands." Mayuri looked at her hands.

"Your hands?"

"Yes, my hands. The truth is that Sunayana, Arnav's birth mother didn't die of any illness. I strangled her with my own hands. Being a daughter of a royal kingdom makes this throne my birthright! You shall inherit this right, my son!"

"But Maa, I have an issue here. Arnav's bride, Tarinii is the issue. I have come to know that it is her dream since childhood to become an empress. She is destined to be an empress according to the royal astrologer. She might do anything to become an empress, we need to be careful!"

"Don't tell me you are getting scared of a war compensation!" Mayuri looked at Shyam and spoke in a serious tone.

"No ways!" He scoffed. "I am not scared of her! I am just concerned for her delicate dreams."

"You seem to have a soft corner for her, would you like to have her?" Mayuri smirked.

"Yes Maa! I would like to have both her and the throne. Let's fulfil her dream by getting her married to me. After all the emperor must have the most beautiful of girls beside him."
Both Shyam and Mayuri laughed devilishly.

A distraught Arnav controlled the tears which were about to flow from his eyes. The woman whom he loved all these years was the murderer of his mother. The very same hands which fed him when he was young, were coloured with the blood of his mother. And now she even planned to take away the throne deserved by him and the woman desired by him! He vowed to never forgive Mayuri and not let her vicious plans cast a dark cloud over his motherland like it did over his mother.

*******flashback over*******

With red eyes Arnav stared towards nowhere. He had come to know of Tarini's plans while she was talking to herself. He needed to distract her or else his evil step mother might try to harm his innocent wife.

If Tarini would have said anything against Mayuri in the court, everyone would have labelled her as an outcaste before believing her. It was officially a crime to blame the queen mother of infidelity to the kingdom. He couldn't let everybody have a bad opinion of her. She had already been shunned by her own kingdom, he didn't want any more troubles for her! He wanted her to be happy, eternally happy.