Rajkumari

Rajkumari

(Princess)

"Nahi!" She flung the whole jug of wine over King Bhadraketu's evil face as he approached her with many wrong intentions hovering around his head

"What is going on here?" Maharaj Shashi asked in a calm voice as he reached the palace gardens with his ministers. His ministers sighed seeing the indifference their king showed towards the princess' scared self.

"Maharaj Shashi, your daughter, my future wife, was saying that she won't move to my capital with me after marriage. I was trying to convince her..." Bhadraketu gazed at the princess with evil eyes.

"What! No Maharaj! I never said anything like that! I just told him to stay away..."The princess tried to explain her stand.

"Bas!" Shashi's voice echoed through the garden. "If I found you disobeying your husband again... You dare not try anything like this again, girl. "He glared at her and went away.

"He isn't my husband yet."
She managed to say as Shashi went away in a huff.

"Very soon, my girl, very soon." Bhadraketu whispered against her neck, running his fingers through her bare waist, making the princess flinch in disgust.

This was Princess Tarinii's life. Sad.
Full of disgusting people.

Her father ignored her like he ignored the famine which striked their kingdom while throwing lavish feasts for his many son in laws and sons. The pest and locust infestation had left the people with minimal grain, most of which they had to give up to the rich and the royal as the new taxes levied on them under Shashi's poor and partial administration.

Her mother never forgot to taunt her about her 'unladylike' habits like studying or learning warcraft. She hated her for having learnt more science than anyone in the kingdom.

Her stepmothers and stepsisters looked down at her like if she was a dirty stone in midst of jewels.

Since childhood, her nannies had prepared her to be a bride, an obedient wife, an enchanting seductress. They taught her to act like someone who doesn't have a mind of her own. Don't think about anything but how you are looking today, is your husband content with you and is he going to make your son the next king!

The only friends she had were the deers in the forests nearby, her place of solace. After catching hold of the many books that her brothers and stepbrothers had thrown away, her five year old self had sat beneath the cool shade of the banyan tree, reading out the Shastras and the puranas. Impressed with her unconventional sincerity, an ascetic scholar who found her in the forest alone, decided to teach her everything he knew about warcraft and all other subjects.