The stout innkeeper came bustling out of the kitchen at the sound of her voice.

"Alina, Freya! My two favorite patrons. Come, come, take a seat." His voice boomed across the room, and he waved them towards two bar stools with a beaming smile. "Marge dear, we need two bowls of stew."

"And bread. Maybe a wedge of cheese too," Rhaessa said, and Minza shot her a bemused look. Braun let out a full-body chuckle and repeated her order to his wife Marge, who was hidden by the kitchen door.

"So, tell me how your travels have been this past month. An old man like me is eager to see the world, even if it's through another's eyes."

"Hush, Braun. You've only grown two gray hairs and you speak as though you're an elder. You could pass for the same age as us," Minza said.

"Oh, don't try and flatter me," Braun said, smacking her playfully with the towel slung over his shoulder, and all three of them grinned. "Now go on, tell me all about the people and places you visited."

Although they gave Braun false names, they tried to tell him as much of the truth elsewhere, even if that meant changing the dates on when they were where. As much as they liked him, they couldn't trust him with their exact whereabouts in case someone started sniffing around their operation. If that person resorted to torture, it was best Braun didn't have more information than necessary to be one of their liaisons.

Marge brought out their food and slapped the bowls onto the table with a heavy thud, cutting off Rhaessa's story about the rare spotted griffin they'd seen in a southern city. Braun shot Marge an admonishing look that she ignored, choosing instead to glare at Rhaessa and Minza as she shuffled away. The stew smelled good, but Rhaessa now wondered if their bowls were given some extra 'love.' She was so hungry, though, that she prayed the food contained no poison and dug in.

"As always, you will have to excuse my wife," Braun said with a sigh. "She just has some inhibitions about our...dealings, even though I reassure her that we are not doing anything illegal or dangerous."

"We completely understand her reservations," Minza said gently. "But we promise that we will never put you in a perilous situation. If you do feel unsafe, just let us know and we'll no longer—"

"None of that," Braun said, dismissing her worries. "All you've brought with you is money and good conversation. How could I say no to that?"

"We really appreciate you," Rhaessa said, and Braun grinned.

"On that note, I think now is the time to talk business," he said. "Have you been to the capital at all recently?"

"No, we haven't had any business in Meros," Minza said. "What's happened?"

"I've heard that the King has been cracking down on the uprising. He's sending his guards on routine checks across Luraek. They came around here and roughed some people up just a fortnight ago—that reminds me, I added spelled extra protection across your rooms just in case."

"We appreciate that, but a bunch of soldiers stroking their egos is nothing new. What's there to fear?" Rhaessa replied, frowning.

"The way they were acting...girls, I've never seen them so aggressive. They were more powerful than any soldiers we've ever seen. The questions are more intent and the rotations more frequent. King Theron is antsy, angry, or possibly even afraid. Whatever it is, something is clearly not right, and the people grow weary, fearing where his hand may strike next. He's even called his Xeythana back to his side, although we're all grateful for that."

Braun muttered a prayer at the mention of the King's executioner. No one knew the woman's real name, but 'Death's Ghost' was an apt title based on what Rhaessa knew of her.