Chapter 21 -- Damage Control

Start bij het begin

"What's the fun in that?" I ask.

"I have no idea," Uncle Michael answers and Chandler moves her glare over to him. "Sorry, I'm on her side. It looks like she's feeding me."

With a smugness that definitely needs to be kissed off of her face, Chandler smiles back at me.

"What are we having?" Uncle Michael asks.

"Mason," she glares at me, "will be manning the grill as soon as I'm finished seasoning the chicken. I have corn and mixed fresh vegetables already seasoned and wrapped in foil."

"It looks great," Michael tells her and then turns to me, "One of these days I'm going to have to get me one of those," referring to Chandler. She takes offence with his statement as if she's easily 'gotten'.

"They're a lot of work." I try to tell him. There she is, again, with the glare, "but absolutely, completely, 100% worth it." I say with my hands up in a mock surrender. Now she's got the spatula, again.

"Stop while you're ahead." She says with a laugh, and I can't help but smile. It's just fun sometimes just playing with my best friend.

"Here take these out," she hands me a platter of chicken. Michael follows behind with a pair of tongs and oven mitts.

"So, last night?" Michael asks with a touch of sympathy.

"Yeah, I couldn't talk her into staying, but she'll be finished within the week."

"What will you do?"

"I'll stay long enough to help Addy move into her new house, and then, I'll be in Charleston and wait for Chandler to finish."

Chandler joins us on the veranda with a couple of beers. "So, where are you headed off to?" Uncle Michael asks her.

"New Orleans for a few days. Before you get excited, it's work. I won't have time to sneeze while I'm there. In fact, I need to be there all week, but I cut it to three days, and I'm hoping for the best."

"And then?"

"Peoria for the rest of the week."

We sit outside and talk as the grill takes care of the food. As if we planned it, just as the food is set on the table, Coach shows up. "I swear I can smell her cooking from my house. Sorry it took my nose so long to hunt her down," he says as he walks from the side of the house.

"Dad, you're right on time." She had invited him but was expecting him here earlier. She goes back in the house for a few more beers, a bottle of wine, serving utensils, and fresh cut tomatoes.

Holding the door for her, I'm rewarded with a kiss from Chandler, and a grunt from Coach. "Behave yourself, Dad is present."

I choose not to inform him that this is 'me' behaving myself, because I could be so much worse. "Yes, sir," I say with a smirk and Chandler giggles. "I'm a gentleman; I'm always behaved."

Pushing Chandler's seat to the table, I whisper three little words in her ear. She smiles and I quickly take a seat beside her.

Chandler's POV-

The sun hides behind the trees just as the food is coming off the grill. I flip on the exterior lights and dim them enough to enjoy night dining. Surrounded by three of the men I love, I sit back and relish good food and conversation.

Everything on the table came from my dad's place. Over ten years ago, he made a set of raised gardens for Emily to manage, since her backyard is primarily a huge soccer field. He had already been raising chickens for as long as I could remember. It was just something he liked to do.