Chapter 6

On the way home from the library, Dave and Karkat stopped at the store because they were running low on stuff. They walked into the store and Karkat went and grabbed a cart. They went down each aisle, putting the stuff they needed in the cart.

"Hey Karkat, I'll be right back" Dave said looking, at a different aisle.

"Alright," Karkat replied, continuing down the aisle.

A few moments later, Dave was back with a huge jug of apple juice.

"Holy fucking shit! Are you sure that's not too much?" Karkat laughed as Dave placed it in the cart.

"Actually, it's probably not enough" Dave joked.

Karkat rolled his eyes. The two of them finished shopping and went home. When they got there, they unpacked everything, made some supper, then went to bed.

The next morning, Karkat woke up really early. The sun hadn't fully risen yet. Carefully, trying not to wake Dave, Karkat got out of bed and crept downstairs, going to the back door. He put on on his shoes and a sweater, then went out into the back yard. He walked over to the shed and took out a ladder that was stored in it. He brought the ladder over to the house and placed it down and began to climb up he got to the top and carefully climbed on to the roof, sitting at the top. It was quiet.

Karkat sat there for a bit, when he heard a small noise from behind him. He turned and saw Dave coming up.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" Karkat asked as Dave sat down beside him.

"No, you didn't. Don't worry." Dave smiled.

Karkat noticed Dave hadn't bothered putting his glasses on. He loved it when Dave didn't wear them, so he could see his eyes. Karkat smiled and leaned his head agents Dave's shoulder. Dave reached for Karkat's hand and laced their fingers together.

The two sat there in silence watching the sun rise. After a few minutes, Dave moved away. Karkat looked at him questioningly.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to grab a sweater." Dave told him, moving toward the ladder.

"Okay," Karkat said looking back at the sky. He listened as Dave went down the ladder and into the house. Then it was very quiet again. Karkat waited for a bit, but noticed Dave was taking awhile. He was about to get up and go see what was taking so long, when he felt a stab of pain in his back like someone had kicked him and he went tumbling forwards, yelling out. He went off the side of the roof and crashed to the ground. He landed on his back, and he felt like he couldn't move. His vision was wavering. He looked up at the roof, and he could have sworn he saw Dave looking down at him with his glasses back on and... smiling?

"Dave..." Karkat mumbled. But his vision was already going black at the edges. As the pressure built inside his head, he gave in to the looming darkness and passed out.