Eventually, after what seemed like an eternity, Will broke the silence. "Calen, on the right bank, in the trees, is that what I think it is?"

Micara looked to where Will directed and scanned the area, searching for whatever had put the catious tone in Will's voice. She thought she saw a dark shape move among the trees, but dismissed it when Calen  replied to Will, "Just a trick of the light, lad."

She was happy that Will had broken the uncomfortable silence, even if he had been mistaken. Calen seemed to feel the same way, for he started to sing noisily. Will joined in. They sang too loudly for Micara's taste, but she would gladly endure the heartier than normal tunes if it meant the atmosphere was returning to normal once again.

Their singing didn't last long, for neither of them seemed to be in the mood for it. Calen kept glancing towards the bank and checking the sun's position in the sky to gauge the time. Something was off about their behaviour, but Micara attributed it mostly to what she had said that had soured the tone of the day. For the rest of it, she was curious, but not enough to pose a question and risk more animosity from the insulted Scotsman, o she remained quiet.

A splash in the water beside the boat and a flash of silver beneath the surface drew her attention. She leaned cautiously over the canoe's side and peered into the water. As she watched, the silver streak appeared again. She raised herself onto her knees and peered further over the side to get a better look. She dipped her fingers into the water experimentally, smiling at the cold sensation of the rushing water.

The silver streak moved again, only centimeters from her fingers. The next time she saw it, she reached further into the water, this time feeling the ripples that the creature made.

"Careful, lass, a wee fish is not worth tipping into the water," Calen warned, but not sounding too concerned.

Micara ignored him. She had never touched a fish and the flashy scales looked smooth and interesting. The fish splashed again, and once more she missed. She shifted her posture for a better position, rocking the canoe slightly as she leaned further forward.

"Lass." came Calen's voice again, warning.

She ignored him again, and when the fish splashed again, she reached forward quickly.

She felt the canoe shift to the side precariously, and her hand braced on the side slipped. She let out a short, high-pitched yelp before her breath was cut off by the icy water as she toppled head first into the river.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calen saw Micara lean forward over the side, entranced by the fish that splashed in the water. He issued a second warning, for the first one had gone unheeded, "Lass."

She paid him no attention, her eyes focused on the ripples, watching for another fish. Calen knew what was about to happen when she leaned forward and the canoe rocked. He reached for her, but couldn't snag her before she gave a startled squeal and tumbled into the water.

He cursed once before calling loudly to Will and stripping out of his buckskin jacket. "She's in the water, William!"

Micara's head resurfaced once a few feet away from the canoe and she gasped wildly and screamed before sinking back beneath the surface. Calen took a deep breath and dove into the river.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was drowning. She was drowning, just like her mother, she was drowning.

This was Micara's only thought as she struggled under the water. She had managed to reach the surface once, but hadn't been able to stay above the water. Her skirts weighed her down and the current pulled, sinking her deeper and deeper. Her lungs burned and her limb flailed wildly. She was no longer in control of her body as the panic took over.