Somber Goodbyes

Emelia awoke when her uncle, Jeremiah, shook her shoulders. "Time to wake up, kiddo." He whispered, she got up and woke Henry and Abe, they all got dressed in the same room, they just turned their backs to each other. Emelia felt awkward dressing in the same room as two other men, even if she knew them, she would've felt more awkward if she knew Henry could see her bare back in the mirror.

He tried to look away, he really did, but the scars that littered her back, her curves, the way she moved her arms and he could see the muscles moving, the line of her spine, it all enticed him. More than he was willing to admit. 

After they were all ready, Emelia's aunt sent them off with a sack of food for the ride. It started quiet, but the silence was killing Abe, so he spoke first. "What's the Union like?" he asked, "I can show you some day, but right now we're dealing with an issue. The building is incredible though.." Henry replied, "What does it look like?" Emelia asked, now intrigued. "There's a lot of gold, mirrors lining a wall, a ridiculously large fireplace and mantle. It's gorgeous really, a little over the top for my taste." He told her.

Emelia smiled, that was the first time they'd actually talked and not fought, maybe they'd be okay.

"When will you be back?" Abe asked, "I can't be sure, sometimes it's only a few days, a couple weeks. Once I was away from my preferred home for a month and a half.." said Henry. Emelia frowned, "He can't leave for that long.." She thought to herself, then she tried to cloud her thoughts so Henry couldn't read them. Though it didn't matter, ever since she met Abe, and since that fight, he couldn't read her thoughts, Henry found that very frustrating. 

They had been riding for about two hours, the sun was rising, and they could hear a train, though they were still a good five miles away. 

Emelia felt herself slowing down, she didn't want to say goodbye, but she also didn't want to beg him to stay. She couldn't ask him to stay, why would he? He has no reason to stay for her. She was fool for even thinking he would stay if she asked. Henry would drop everything for her in a heartbeat, but she wouldn't know that for a long time.

Emelia and Henry both felt numb. They approached the train station, and tied up their horses, "I'll need one of you to keep an eye on him for me." Henry stated, Abe and Emelia nodded and walked onto the platform, Henry paid for his ticket, and they waited. 

The last thing Emelia wanted to do was wait for the train that would take what used to be, her best friend, away. She wanted him to stay, she wanted the three of them to stick together, to be a team. An unstoppable team. But he couldn't. 

The train slowly pulled into the station, and they all walked him to the door. "I'll see you when I get back." Henry said, Abe nodded and shook his hand, and began to head back to the horses, he just wanted to give his friends some time to talk, even if it was only a moment.

"Henry, will I really see you when you get back?" Emelia asked, "Perhaps, yes." He said, trying to read her mind, he could feel she was upset. Emelia wanted to say sorry, but she wasn't sure what she had to apologize for, aside for fighting with him. "You might not be able to find me when you get back, I still have to travel, and I don't know if I'll go with Abe.." She said, "Well, I have ways of finding people, so you shouldn't worry." He replied. 

"I wish we didn't have to part this way.." Emelia muttered, "If you just apologized, I would too." "What do I have to apologize for? You being stubborn and...jealous?" "I don't get jealous, and I am not stubborn, you are. And why would I be jealous? We don't have anything. We're nothing."

As soon as he'd said that he'd regretted it. "Fine, we're nothing, but you don't need to push me away!" "I wouldn't push you away if I could read you and find out what's wrong!" "Stay the fuck out of my head, Sturges!" "At least I want to try and fix our friendship!" "What do you think I've been trying to do! I try to talk to you, but you just argue with me!" "You're the one who starts the arguments!" "You know what, just leave, just fucking run away from your problems here, and don't worry about me!" "Why would I worry about you, I have no reason too. And I don't run from my problems, I take them out with a single swipe of my claw!"